Harvey’s Debaromyces Hansenii

Reads 4771 • Replies 20 • Started Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:53:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 09:53 Wed 10/29/2014

I started culturing the dregs from a couple of bottles, looking to get my hands on some of their delicious brett strain. In fact, after some reading around, it looks like their yeast doesn’t contain any brett: the yeast making the bretty flavours is a strain of Debaromyces (more often spelled ’debaryomyces’, seemingly).

It has a very high tolerance for sugar and salt (up to 24% salinity), and is often used in sausage-making and cheese-making. Apparently, it can metabolise lactic acid (!) and some pretty complex stuff, like soluble starch.

The starter I’ve made with the dregs is definitely fermenting, is starting to smell pretty good (nice and fruity), and has a bretty-looking pellicle.

Some information about the stuff here:

http://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/hello-my-name-is-debaryomyces-hansenii/

Though no helpful brewing information, unfortunately.

Anyone got any useful information about this stuff?

beastiefan2k
beers 5009 º places 294 º 12:39 Wed 10/29/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
In fact, after some reading around, it looks like their yeast doesn’t contain any brett: the yeast making the bretty flavours is a strain of Debaromyces (more often spelled ’debaryomyces’, seemingly).

where did you get that information? just very curious b/c I am a big fan of Harvey’s Impy Stout

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 12:59 Wed 10/29/2014

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by GarethYoung
In fact, after some reading around, it looks like their yeast doesn’t contain any brett: the yeast making the bretty flavours is a strain of Debaromyces (more often spelled ’debaryomyces’, seemingly).

where did you get that information? just very curious b/c I am a big fan of Harvey’s Impy Stout

Me too, it’s the tits!

Michael Jackson says the brewer told him:

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-001504.html

It’s also discussed here:

http://old.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/publications/the-new-brewer/online-extras/show?title=style-spotlight-imperial-russian-stout

CLevar
places 23 º 13:06 Wed 10/29/2014

Really interested in this.

I’m going to have to track down a bottle and try to isolate it.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 13:51 Wed 10/29/2014

Well the starter seems to have gotten going quite quickly, so assuming I’ve sanitised properly and got what I want, I’ll step it up and start experimenting. Deffos have to do a 100% fermentation as well as a few mixed ones. I’ll probably ferment a few litres in a demijohn when I brew my next batch.

I’ve emailed the brewer too, asking if he has any information about the strain he’d be willing to provide.

beastiefan2k
beers 5009 º places 294 º 14:27 Wed 10/29/2014

Originally posted by CLevar

and share it?

CLevar
places 23 º 14:37 Wed 10/29/2014

and share it?

Get me a bottle that has it in it and yes.

CLevar
places 23 º 06:34 Wed 11/5/2014

Any update on this?

I’m assuming that there is also Sacch in the beer as well, correct? How do you plan on pulling out the Debaromyces or do you think that going with the mixed culture you have will be sufficient?

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 07:03 Wed 11/5/2014

I have access to bottles if anyone needs any

beastiefan2k
beers 5009 º places 294 º 07:56 Wed 11/5/2014

and share it?

Get me a bottle that has it in it and yes.

shouldn’t be a problem.

CLevar
places 23 º 11:50 Wed 11/5/2014

I don’t think its distribution includes mn. But I could be wrong

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer