Help Me Identify a Beer Called "Poke"

Reads 389 • Replies 5 • Started Monday, August 10, 2015 8:05:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 20:05 Mon 8/10/2015

Many stops into a tour of pubs my native north Derbyshire I came across a cask beer called "Poke". I remember it was a golden beer with thick white head and good lacing, more malt than hop led in the flavour and had a purple pump clip. I enjoyed it and would like to at least know who brewed it but ratebeer and the wider internet have come up dry. Has anyone got an more info? Cheers?

imdownthepub
beers 26026 º places 2087 º 01:44 Tue 8/11/2015

It could well have been a pub re badge. The closest I can find, just doing a run on Derbyshire brews is Leatherbritches Bespoke.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 09:32 Tue 8/11/2015

Okay, cheers for that, although looking at reviews I’m not sure that’s the one as it seems to be an ESB with a mid-brown colour. I remember this being lighter in colour and style. I may head back down there later to see if I can find out more, the pub was only three miles from my house.

Mr_Pink_152
beers 14441 º places 455 º 13:56 Tue 8/11/2015

I would contact the pub direct, they are often really helpful, and can tell you exactly what a beer is.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 14:06 Tue 8/11/2015

I called back in at the pub (The Royal in Hayfield for anyone who knows the area) on my way home tonight and it was no longer on. I checked with the lad I was drinking with yesterday to make sure it wasn’t a figment of my imagination as it was the last stop of a pretty heavy afternoon/evening and he definitely remembers it.

They were busy so I didn’t want to slow down their service by asking about it now but will remember to chase it up next time I am in there as it is a semi-regular stop for me.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 16:20 Wed 8/12/2015

I managed to track it down and have added it to the site.

Turns out it was from Hornbeam in Denton, Greater Manchester.

The pump clip describes it as "a light, hoppy, beer flavoured ale" which struck a chord with me, as "something light and hoppy" seems to be the favoured request of drinkers trying to seem more knowledgeable than they are, which where I work are ten a penny. It’s good to see the brewery gently poking (pun intended) fun at them.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beername/353531/