RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Help taking apart a corny keg...

read 4176 times • 43 replies • posted 1/31/2012 5:59:55 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
Gription79 2263:51
I have both 12 point and 6 point, they are used soda kegs that I rebuilt and I did not replace posts. All of my kegs work and the amount of points does not matter. A closed wrench is a little easier for removing posts in my experience.
2/1/2012 2:38:11 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Rosebud butternuts 2396:36
You have to put the keg in a body lock while trying to loosen the post.
2/1/2012 2:42:59 PM

premium
drowland 6038:172
Just Googled 6/12pt and such... and my posts are definitely 6 point and so is my socket... so...
2/1/2012 2:48:02 PM

premium
drowland 6038:172
Originally posted by AAvgerinos
Assuming your tools are in good working order, first try tightening the connection just 1/16 of a turn. So, just barely try to budge it. Then to loosen, get a good hold and jerk it loose. Sometimes quick movements will loosen a stuck fitting better than hanging on it. Putting a small pipe over the end of a ratchet will give you more leverage as well.

Tried this already (tightening first) and it didn’t work sadly. Oh well, I’ll keep trying everyone’s suggestions
2/1/2012 2:52:54 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Do you have a hammer? Tighten the wrench onto the post with as much room as you can for the wrench to move, then give it a whack with the hammer. That should loosen it up.
2/1/2012 3:43:01 PM

premium
mkgrenwel 569:110
I have a 6 pt and a 12 pt on my keg.
2/1/2012 5:20:42 PM

dankman 253:20
If holding the keg in place is the real problem try securing it to a post by wrapping it several times with a ratchet strap and tightening the shit out of it prior to putting a wrench on it. I have used ratchet straps for a hillbilly vise while working on big pipe several times, as long as you can figure out how to apply friction in your favor it will work.
2/1/2012 6:19:41 PM

premium
BMan1113VR 7858:379
Having problems holding the keg down? Try sitting on it
2/1/2012 6:47:09 PM

lithy 2996:156
Has a breaker bar been tried yet? Use leverage to your advantage.
2/1/2012 6:48:55 PM

premium
CaptainCougar 7132:142
When you tried to get the post off with the socket wrench, did you pay any attention to the angle over which you were applying the torque? You shouldn’t need to worry about holding the keg still if you place the post you want to get off at the 3 o’clock position relative to your body and position the wrench handle at roughly 10 o’clock. Then with your right hand you pull the wrench toward you while pushing away on the keg handle with your left hand. You can slip a pipe over the socket wrench handle to act as a torque extender. Worst case is you use a pair of vise grips and a hammer. You can always replace the post if you strip it or damage it. midwestsupplies.com has most types for $9-$10.
2/1/2012 6:50:40 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add