Help taking apart a corny keg...

Reads 7019 • Replies 43 • Started Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:59:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

robrules
places 1 º 08:54 Thu 2/2/2012

Heat by sticking the keg upside down in a pot of boiling water. Stick a piece of pipe through the handles for leverage. Another piece of pipe over the handle of the wrench.

If that doesn’t work, then start lifting weights - or have your girlfriend do it for you. ;-)

JMerritt
places 72 º 05:51 Sat 2/18/2012

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you ever get this keg apart?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 06:19 Sat 2/18/2012

Originally posted by robrules
Heat by sticking the keg upside down in a pot of boiling water. Stick a piece of pipe through the handles for leverage. Another piece of pipe over the handle of the wrench.

If that doesn’t work, then start lifting weights - or have your girlfriend do it for you. ;-)

Haha, didn’t see this one. Hilarious!

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 06:19 Sat 2/18/2012

Originally posted by JMerritt

Haven’t needed it yet, so I haven’t tried. I will HAVE to get it apart in the next week or two, though, and I’ll let you know.

crosamich
beers 474 º places 17 º 07:15 Sat 2/18/2012

Regarding the closed end wrench and buying more tools I have found that neighbors sometimes like to lend out tools for beer.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:54 Sat 2/18/2012

Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by JMerritt

Haven’t needed it yet, so I haven’t tried. I will HAVE to get it apart in the next week or two, though, and I’ll let you know.

Slip a length of pipe over the handle of the socket as a cheater. Or visit
Harbor Freight, seven bucks. Tap lightly at first.

As my granddaddy told me when I was just a lad, "Don’t use force, use a bigger hammer."

Theblindpig
22:21 Sat 2/18/2012

Originally posted by Cobra
Thanks for the help, guys. My tools are in fact in working order. The ratchet is brand new and working well.

The hardest part is holding down the empty keg...

Fill the keg with water first, Einstein.

agold
beers 1 º 22:29 Sat 2/18/2012

Some lube might be in order (who doesn’t like some lube). No way I would use anything like WD40, but a drop or two of food grade mineral oil or vegetable oil might be helpful. Last time I had a stuck post this helped a lot.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 22:36 Sat 2/18/2012

Originally posted by Theblindpig
Originally posted by Cobra
Thanks for the help, guys. My tools are in fact in working order. The ratchet is brand new and working well.

The hardest part is holding down the empty keg...

Fill the keg with water first, Einstein.

?

You also overestimate the weight/resistance of a few gallons of water compared to a completely stalled post.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 22:37 Sat 2/18/2012

I have to say... a lot of you mention to slip a pipe over the socket/wrench... I don’t have a pipe sitting around... who does?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer