Help tweak IPA recipe (Christmas present)

Reads 3529 • Replies 31 • Started Monday, October 21, 2013 10:23:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 11:31 Mon 10/21/2013

Considering your critiques, I suggest you might want to try a higher alpha bittering hop for your 60 min addition (something like Magnum or Nugget, 14%+ AA) I usually use about 1 oz. I really like Amarillo and Galaxy, but I find Mosaic a little too fruity (very good, just not as awesome as the other two to my taste). Some people love it though. I would recommend Simcoe for a little bit more pine/bitterness to go with the nice tropical/citrusy flavors. You could replace your 15 min Citra with Simcoe and add an extra ounce of Amarillo at flameout, or something like that.

All in all however, your recipe looks quite good.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 15:52 Mon 10/21/2013

For depth/longevity of bitterness, you may want to consider adding an ounce of Columbus (or one of the other aforementioned high alpha varieties) to your partial mash grains as a first wort hopping.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 16:21 Mon 10/21/2013

The recipe looks pretty great as is. Are you whirlpooling with the knock out hops at all?

HornyDevil
17:34 Mon 10/21/2013

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Originally posted by italarican
Would there be a bittering hop you’d substitute for the Cascade at 60 minutes that would go well with this profile? I could see adding something there and then boosting up the Citra and Cascade at flameout like CLevar was getting at.

Warrior or some other clean, high alpha bittering hop. I don’t think the bittering charge matters all that much.

As JulienHuxley said, Magnum would be a great choice for this beer. As would Horizon. That being said, the bittering charge would matter a hell of a lot less if you added more hops overall and ended up with more perceived bitterness. I think your recipe is a great start. You have a pretty simple grainbill, a highly attenuative, but poorly flocculent yeast, and a nice combination of hop varietals. The only thing that I would do different would be to up the amounts of late addition and dry hops. Personally, I would shoot for 6 oz. of each to bring your total hops up to an even pound. That bigger flame out addition will solve your hop fading problem and will give it a nose that you will be able to smell from a couple feet away.

HornyDevil
17:37 Mon 10/21/2013

Originally posted by pellegjr
For depth/longevity of bitterness, you may want to consider adding an ounce of Columbus (or one of the other aforementioned high alpha varieties) to your partial mash grains as a first wort hopping.

This would be mash hopping, not first wort hopping, and would be a waste of an ounce of hops.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 18:56 Mon 10/21/2013

Originally posted by Cletus
The recipe looks pretty great as is. Are you whirlpooling with the knock out hops at all?

I’ve never tried whirlpooling and am only vaguely familiar with the concept.

I’ve really appreciated the input on how to fine tweak the hop makeup and schedule! I feel like I’m learning some things... thanks

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 19:50 Mon 10/21/2013

I’ll second shifting the hop schedule towards flame out, and the suggestion of using Warrior at 60 minutes instead of Cascade. Cascade is pretty high in cohumulone, which is more acrid than bitter. Other than that, the recipe looks pretty damn tasty!

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 20:23 Mon 10/21/2013

Malt bill looks good. I find cascade bittering a bit harsh so I’d sub that out. You really can’t go wrong with PNW hops at knock out and dry hop but I like to use only one big flashy hop like citra/mosaic/galaxy then use hops that support it well like cascade/Amarillo/simcoe/Columbus/centennial/chinook etc. try 2-4 different varieties. For an IPA I’d try a blend of 2-4oz at 5 and knock out then 4-6oz dry hop. It will not lack hop flavor or aroma that’s for sure.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 07:36 Tue 10/22/2013

I like the ideas of a clean bittering hop to start, adding a little Simcoe for depth, and pushing the citrus hops later (and more).

Based on the suggestions here and more reading on the profiles of these hops, this is my first shot at a revised recipe. If I get the same efficiency, my calculations are at 77 IBU.

3.0 lbs light DME
4.0 lbs 2-row
2.0 lbs maris otter
1.0 lb wheat malt
US-05 Yeast

1.0 oz Warrior 60 min
1.0 oz Simcoe 10 min
1.0 oz Cascade 5 min
1.0 oz Citra 5 min
1.0 oz Citra flame out
2.0 oz Cascade flame out
2.0 oz Amarillo flame out
2.0 oz Citra dry hopped 7 days (maybe 3 oz?)

CLevar
places 23 º 07:48 Tue 10/22/2013

^Winner

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer