RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Help with spice additions for a pumpkin porter

read 884 times • 14 replies • posted 9/29/2012 10:21:49 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
dogfish120love 880:18
Iím brewing a pumpkin porter right now and was hoping someone could help me with the amount of spices to use. Iíd like to use allspice, cinnamon and possibly ginger. Here is the recipe without spices

6lbs LME
12oz munich + 4 (Aromatic Malt)
12oz Chocolate + 2oz Black Malt
10 German Dark Crystal malt
12 HBU hops (Bittering)
5Lbs pumpkin(4lbs Canned and 1Lbs fresh)
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
BBB63 5740:132
I would recommended skipping the allspice and grating some fresh nutmeg - one tablespoon, use crystallized ginger - one tablespoon, and use two cinnamon sticks - whole. I also think 5 pounds is too much, 4 lbs should do ya, add to the final 30 minutes of the boil and the spices at flame out.

I would roast the pumpkin is the oven with a LIGHT covering of some of the spices. (or better yet, use Butternut Squash... or even better yet, use ALL fresh and skip the can). Bake for up to 1 hour at 425 until internal temp reaches 150F, then bake at 350 for up to 30 more minutes, DO NOT BURN, the goal is to roast and caramelize.

I would not use fresh ginger for the "heat" does not seem to work as well with the other spices. I brewed a English Brown Porter and did not use black malt but did add a bit of smoked and rye malts. It will smell too spicy when you are cooling down the wort but as the beer ferments the aroma will mellow out.

just my opinion
9/29/2012 11:55:23 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Thanks for your advice!
9/29/2012 11:57:16 AM

premium
BBB63 5740:132
Originally posted by dogfish120love
Thanks for your advice!

oh should you go the baked route, I would quarter the pumpkins (or squash), scoop out the seeds and very lightly spinkle the exposed meat with a bit of the spices using no more than 1/2 of your overall spices during baking. Break off some the cinnamon sticks and grind to put on the meat.

If you want to roast the seeds later for a salty snack that would okay. Here is a recipe for roasting the seeds...

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/toasted_pumpkin_seeds/
9/29/2012 12:08:14 PM

premium
9/29/2012 3:01:32 PM

premium
Unclerudy 12:3
Use yams instead of pumpkin. You well get a better pumpkin flavor. Doesnít make sense, but it is true.
9/29/2012 5:59:44 PM

premium
drowland 5953:172
cbfobes is the one to ask for advice on this. I hear his pumpkin beers are to die for.
9/29/2012 6:00:23 PM

premium
cbfobes 2149:26
Originally posted by drowland
cbfobes is the one to ask for advice on this. I hear his pumpkin beers are to die for.

I have a case left of the 2011 batch if anyone wants any........
9/29/2012 7:51:29 PM

premium
Iíd love to try some. Are you up for a trade? Thank everyone for the help especially BBB63
9/29/2012 8:07:59 PM

premium
cbfobes 2149:26
Trust me, you donít want any of it, Danny was just being his usual dickish self. :) I was rushed for time and just picked up a pre-mixed spice packet and it came out horrible.
9/30/2012 2:51:18 PM

premium
drowland 5953:172
Originally posted by cbfobes
Trust me, you donít want any of it, Danny was just being his usual dickish self. :) I was rushed for time and just picked up a pre-mixed spice packet and it came out horrible.

Understatement of the year!

9/30/2012 4:34:32 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add