Hill Farmstead #1 Brewery in the world...again

Reads 1636 • Replies 16 • Started Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:57:50 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

poisoneddwarf
beers 5613 º places 26 º 17:07 Sun 1/31/2016

Originally posted by bytemesis
Na, BBomb Cinnamon is the bomb, much better than BCSBW in my opinion.

Agreed. In my top 5 I think.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 20:27 Sun 1/31/2016

Originally posted by Vizualize
These awards seemed really legit to me until I saw evil twin was the best brewer in NY and and an evil twin beer was best beer in NY. Evil Twin doesn’t brew a single drop of beer in NY. Doesn’t anybody check this shit out?

I have a similar feeling about it. As a NY resident and someone who drinks Evil Twin regularly (had two today), and really likes their stuff, I have no idea why they areconsidered the best brewery in NY when none of it is brewed in NY. I would feel the same if Grimm (whose stuff I also love) won, when all of their beer is brewed out of state. Or if Stillwater were to win for Maryland.

Sure we could get into lively debates about how some of the best brewers in certain places are head brewer in name only at this point and don’t get their hands dirty very often, while someone who is a gypsy brewer may actually do a full brew day at some place even if it is out of state. Or how even if all they do is write up a recipe and email it over to Two Roads or Westbrook or wherever, how is that different from a guy writing up a recipe at his office in his own brewery and having the other brewers make it. But it still rings slightly false to me to say the best brewer in NY is someone whose beers aren’t made in NY (and a good chunk haven’t even been made in the US).

Maybe it’s a weird personal thing that I want to be able to travel to some of the winning breweries and try their stuff. I know I can’t do that at a place like say... Almanac, or even some where they brew everything themselves because they’re not open to the public for other reasons, but I want that to generally be an option. An actual brewery.

I really wish we had a Gypsy Brewer category.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 21:50 Sun 1/31/2016

Lowboost

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 02:07 Mon 2/1/2016

How else could it be done? Evil Twin is registered at a NY address. I’m not sure whom is brewing most of their batches. Is it Westbrook? Maybe in brackets a special mention to the contracting brewery or contracted on behalf of x or y for Evil Twin.

hawthorne00
beers 8459 º places 63 º 07:31 Mon 2/1/2016

How else could it be done? Make it for a brewer (Shaun Hill or, it seems, armando_otchoa (?!)) or make it for a brewery. Don’t pretend they are the same thing.

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 08:41 Mon 2/1/2016

Originally posted by hawthorne00
How else could it be done? Make it for a brewer (Shaun Hill or, it seems, armando_otchoa (?!)) or make it for a brewery. Don’t pretend they are the same thing.

There’s really no way to be entirely consistent for every type of arrangement. What are we trying to rank? The best recipe writers? The best team of individuals brewing the beer? The best physical location? The best collection of beers under one brand name? The best brewing business? Each one of these is going to have an odd case where it’s unclear how they fit in.

It seems to me we pretty much try to rank the best brewing business. They can have one location or multiple, or no location at all. So we defer to their business address. I suppose instead we could the location where the largest percentage of their beer is brewed, but that could be difficult to determine.

I guess my point is no matter how you do it, there will always be special cases that don’t fit in.