Hill Farmstead yeast harvesting

Reads 12090 • Replies 40 • Started Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:26:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 09:26 Wed 3/25/2015

Does anyone know for sure if Hill Farmstead bottle conditions with their primary yeast strain? I’m mainly wondering about their tart Saisons like Arthur, Anna and Brother Soigne... I have a couple of these bottles and was thinking of building up a culture. I know it’s probably mixed with bacteria as well, but it might be a fun experiment.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 09:27 Wed 3/25/2015

Email Hill Farmstead and ask?

there are so many conflicting informations out there on this. Some people say pre 2013 bottles were conditioned w/ brett...after there were things put in place to eliminate people harvesting dregs, etc.

I really don’t know who to believe any more but ask Shaun and maybe he’ll set things straight.

CLevar
places 23 º 09:37 Wed 3/25/2015

I know for a fact that old bottles of Arthur have a mixed culture in them.

Source: I’ve isolated multiple strains from an old bottle of Arthur

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 10:02 Wed 3/25/2015

Originally posted by AdamJackson
there are so many conflicting informations out there on this. Some people say pre 2013 bottles were conditioned w/ brett...after there were things put in place to eliminate people harvesting dregs

This is what I have heard. I have read in a few different places that he now uses wine yeast to bottle condition to eliminate the harvesting of his "proprietary" yeas strains.

Reynolds314
beers 3472 º places 41 º 10:05 Wed 3/25/2015

I also know that he switched to a wine yeast for higher abv dark beers due in part to carbonation issues with Birth of Tragedy. Im not sure what he has done with the saisons/wilds.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:16 Wed 3/25/2015

...here we go again, so many different ’rumors’ :) :)

info@hillfarmstead.com

that’s my recommendation on this. Please report back what you hear.

I can understand why some of these things may be true. 2012-2013, it was getting really bad. I had people emailing me asking to setup dregs trades. "i’ll send you $20 for a baggie of Anna Dregs" i thought it was so weird..why don’t they just want the bottle of beer for $10?

CLevar
places 23 º 10:19 Wed 3/25/2015

Ajax-Seems like you are contributing to the rumors as much as anyone else. Again, I can say with certainty that early bottles of Arthur (Batch 1) had mixed cultures in them. Not rumor. Fact.

Admittedly, I have no idea if the cultures I pulled out of those bottles were what Arthur was fermented with, aged with, conditioned with, etc. I’m only reporting what I know rather than contributing to rumors.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 10:30 Wed 3/25/2015

Thanks for the email Adam. I’ll give it a shot and report back.

bytemesis
beers 15313 º places 1595 º 10:32 Wed 3/25/2015

I find it interesting how varied the reaction is from different brewers regarding "protecting" their strains. Some, like Sante Adairius, encourage culturing right on the label (Bernice), others, like Alchemist, are fiercely protective, although apparently you can now buy Heady knock-offs at a number of outlets.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:36 Wed 3/25/2015

Originally posted by bytemesis
I find it interesting how varied the reaction is from different brewers regarding "protecting" their strains. Some, like Sante Adairius, encourage culturing right on the label (Bernice), others, like Alchemist, are fiercely protective, although apparently you can now buy Heady knock-offs at a number of outlets.

The Sante Adairius brewer, Tim Clifford (I think?) had a great bit on the Sour Hour, a homebrewing podcast put on by Jay Goodwin from the Rare Barrel.

They were discussing culture maintenance ("just like a sourdough starter") and how his cultures came to be. Essentially, if there is a beer you like, add some of those bugs!

During that, he described how he shared some of his beer with Shaun Hill, and Hill replied "You’ve got my yeast in here!".

Clifford’s response: "Fuck yeah I do!"

I’m biased here: I really enjoyed that the first SARA beer I had stated right on the bottle that it contained live cultures and that they should be used and shared. And then I fell in love with more of their beers when I was out in CA last October.

But man, I love that perspective.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 10:42 Wed 3/25/2015

Just sent the email.... We’ll see what happens.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer