RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hoppes

read 618 times • 8 replies • posted 7/20/2012 1:46:19 AM

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick 1:2
So Iím down to the last batch or twoís worth of fresh Citra and Centennial from my #1 supplier, though Iíve got a half pound of Palisades from him to play with. Will do a single hop half-IPA with it soon.

And Iíve done my first single-hop Simcoe in a year or so, and while I like it better than last yearís, it still strikes me as the most boring of the latter day (post-Columbus/Zeus) Yankocitrichops. Nice bitterness, but itís just kind of íthereí aromatically, not very citric, more grassy.

Or am I an idiot?

And Iíve got some more Galaxy, which I thought was OK last year, but like Citra Lite.

I keep coming back to Chinook and Centennial, especially half-half with Citra.
Private message Send the author a private message

FrumptyDumpty
Try dry hopping with Simcoe. Simcoe is hands down my fav hop always and forever.
7/20/2012 3:17:33 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Try dry hopping with Simcoe. Simcoe is hands down my fav hop always and forever.

That is one of the hops that has varied the most over the years, in my experience. Iím actually going to go back to Cascade, which I havenít used in years, for a pale ale soon.
7/20/2012 7:11:21 AM

premium
ALLOVATE 2436:96
It is good to hear of differing hop results. It doesnít always pan out as planned. Interested more in your Simcoe result. I still back Chinook, Amarillo, Willamette and Cascade as choice example of US hops. The nouveau hops are touch and go, which was expected.
7/20/2012 7:29:20 AM

robrules 1
Originally posted by Erlangernick
And Iíve done my first single-hop Simcoe in a year or so, and while I like it better than last yearís, it still strikes me as the most boring of the latter day (post-Columbus/Zeus) Yankocitrichops. Nice bitterness, but itís just kind of íthereí aromatically, not very citric, more grassy.

Simcoe is not really citrusy, more mangoe/tropical fruit along with the piney and herbal (some people call catty)aspects. Seems to me that it loses more of its tropical nature each year and pine is becoming the major flavor.
7/20/2012 8:17:58 AM

Originally posted by robrules

Simcoe is not really citrusy, more mangoe/tropical fruit along with the piney and herbal (some people call catty)aspects. Seems to me that it loses more of its tropical nature each year and pine is becoming the major flavor.

Yeah, Iíd forgotten that itís not supposed to be so *citric*. It just seems kind of one-dimensional compared to the other new ones. Iíll use it more for bittering, I think.

Used the Galaxy yesterday, 2012 harvest, for a 1.033 OG half-IPA, ~6 oz for about 8 gallon boil size. Standard usage: 1 oz at 60 minutes, 1.67 at 15 and 5 minutes and again at 80įC. Oiliest, stickiest clump oí hops I think Iíve ever laid hands on. Beautifully aromatic too.
7/21/2012 3:21:22 AM

seymour 1456:45

...to me that it loses more of its tropical nature each year and pine is becoming the major flavor.

This has been my exact experience as well. It sorta begs the question whether their plant trademark/patent protection should be valid if the characteristics arenít stable after just a couple years of propogation...
8/13/2012 8:33:32 AM

Just brewed with Palisade for the first time today (1.034 OG half-IPA). Very nice aroma, not as sticky as some others, but still pleasant. 30 gm Warrior for bittering, 5x that quantity in 3 additions at 15 and 5 minutes and whilst chilling, at 77įC.

Will update in 2-3 days when we commence with consumption.
8/22/2012 7:33:47 AM

Really like the Palisades -- more subtle than other Oregonian hops, but yet not boring. More later when the beer cleans up a bit.
8/25/2012 6:59:25 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add