RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hops dealer in Portland/Seattle

read 728 times • 18 replies • posted 11/9/2013 9:16:31 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

Pallieter85 14:26
Hi there, a friend of mine is traveling from Portland to Seattle to Vancouver back to Seattle to fly back to Belgium. Iím looking for him to pick up some American hops for homebrews, Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe etc. Do you guys have recommendations for where to buy these hops?

Private message Send the author a private message

502Che 999:47
Buy a trench coat, find a dark alley, stroll back there and ask anyone you see, "Hey man, know anywhere I can score some HOPS man??"

Or look up "home brew shop Portland OR" / "Home brew shop Seattle WA" in google, call the stores you find, and ask what they have in stock.
11/9/2013 9:58:30 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
fiulijn 14298:516
If you donít get help from wiser (and closer) people, these are some shops on the way:

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/bobs-homebrew-supply/14225/
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/mountain-homebrew-wine-supply/2745/
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/homebrew-heaven-brewing-supplies-everett/4391/
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/dans-home-brewing-supplies/1370/

Iíve been only at the one in Vancouver and I didnít look for hops; they have a fridge with some packages.
Most things are more expensive in Canada than in the US; donít know about homebrewing supplies.
Chances are that all these shops also sell online, so you can check availability and prices now.
11/9/2013 1:58:25 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
If youíre traveling from Portland to Seattle, looking for hops, and you donít make a slight detour to Yakima, you really, really missed the boat.

I just received an order for hops from Puterbaugh Farms yesterday ( http://www.hopsdirect.com/ )
The order looks like this...

Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
AMARILLOģ VGXP01 c.v.--Pellets
(Package Size: 1 # )
AMARLUSP 1 $18.40 USD $18.40 USD
CASCADE -- Pellets
CASCAUSP 1 $12.20 USD $12.20 USD
CHINOOK -- Leaf
(Leaf Sizes: 1 lb.)
CHINOUSLF 1 $15.65 USD $15.65 USD
CITRA -- Leaf
CITRAUSLF 1 $17.35 USD $17.35 USD
HALLERTAU US-- Pellets
HALLERUSP 1 $14.15 USD $14.15 USD
NORTHERN BREWER US -- Pellets
NBREWUSP 1 $12.85 USD $12.85 USD
PERLE GR -- Leaf
PERLEGRLF 1 $12.10 USD $12.10 USD
SAAZ CZECH -- Pellets
SAAZCZP 1 $15.40 USD $15.40 USD
WILLAMETTE -- Pellets
WILLAUSP 1 $10.30 USD $10.30 USD
Subtotal: $128.40 USD
Shipping: $12.72 USD
Grand Total: $141.12 USD

So, if your buddy canít stop in Yakima (actually Mabton for HopsDirect) beermail me. Iím happy to sell him whatever at cost and reorder. I live in the Seattle area.
11/9/2013 3:00:14 PM

premium
BTW, my order from HopsDirect was less than $1 per ounce (28g) and youíll pay $3 to $4 per ounce at retail.
11/9/2013 3:04:49 PM

premium
Homer321 1600:22
Hopsdirect ROCKS. Also, their scale is broke (as of last year) because all the pounds I bought were closer to 18oz.
11/9/2013 3:07:04 PM

premium
Originally posted by Homer321
Hopsdirect ROCKS. Also, their scale is broke (as of last year) because all the pounds I bought were closer to 18oz.

Shhhh! Donít let them know.
11/9/2013 3:13:39 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Whilst in Portland, he should swing by Steinbartís, the greatest homebrew shop in the NW, I think, or at least it was a decade ago.
11/10/2013 3:29:24 AM

Pallieter85 14:26
Thanks a lot for the tips, seems like hopsdirect.com is the way to go!

And sorry for the weird language in my opening post, English is not my native language. Of course I know homebrew shops all have hops on the shelves (or letís hope in the fridge) but the selection at hopsdirect is so big Iíll certainly find some good American hops :)
11/10/2013 9:57:25 PM

morav
Originally posted by bitbucket
BTW, my order from HopsDirect was less than $1 per ounce (28g) and youíll pay $3 to $4 per ounce at retail.

I tried to order from Hopsdirect but their minimum shipping charge on an $8 order TO THEIR OWN ZIP CODE AREA was $14, and $30 to send it to my home in Hawaii!! Maybe if you order many many pounds of hops the per pound shipping costs get more reasonable but if you just want a pound or two forget it. Anyoneís guess why they donít just put the hops in a small USPS flat rate box for $5. anyway I canít use them. Any suggestions for a place that doesnít screw you on shipping?
1/2/2014 1:56:21 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by morav
Originally posted by bitbucket

I tried to order from Hopsdirect but their minimum shipping charge on an $8 order TO THEIR OWN ZIP CODE AREA was $14, and $30 to send it to my home in Hawaii!! Maybe if you order many many pounds of hops the per pound shipping costs get more reasonable but if you just want a pound or two forget it. Anyoneís guess why they donít just put the hops in a small USPS flat rate box for $5. anyway I canít use them. Any suggestions for a place that doesnít screw you on shipping?

Please make note: you live on a remote island chain in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, shipping MAY be expensive.

Also, when buying in bulk from someone like HopsDirect (who does, in fact, ROCK!) it is best to buy your hops for the year like most breweries do. Then you can get a lot of hops for a very low price and save on shipping.
1/2/2014 3:20:14 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add