RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hops dealer in Portland/Seattle

read 679 times • 18 replies • posted 11/9/2013 9:16:31 AM

Page 1 | 2

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by morav
Originally posted by bitbucket
BTW, my order from HopsDirect was less than $1 per ounce (28g) and youíll pay $3 to $4 per ounce at retail.

I tried to order from Hopsdirect but their minimum shipping charge on an $8 order TO THEIR OWN ZIP CODE AREA was $14, and $30 to send it to my home in Hawaii!! Maybe if you order many many pounds of hops the per pound shipping costs get more reasonable but if you just want a pound or two forget it. Anyoneís guess why they donít just put the hops in a small USPS flat rate box for $5. anyway I canít use them. Any suggestions for a place that doesnít screw you on shipping?

Couple of things:
1. Donít expect a free lunch. Especially in Hawaii. There is a TON of stuff that costs more there. If you want stuff cheaper we have 48 other states that can help you out. (Alaska is sort of a mixed bag, price-wise.)
2. Check your math. I donít live in their area code, but I do live on the mainland, and the shipping charge for me was $9.74 for FedEx Ground Home Delivery on a one pound order, and only $10.38 for three pounds. The price to ship three pounds to upstate New York was $14, so Iím calling BS on the $14 to ship $8 in hops to their own area code, unless maybe youíre going with Next Day Air to ship next door? Donít do that.
3. Hops, being a perishiable food product that is subject to problems when exposed to heat etc., is probably not a good candidate for shipping via slow boat.
1/2/2014 7:37:03 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

robrules 1
I guess everyone is happy with the quality of hops from hopsdirect then? Huh, maybe its just me then...
1/3/2014 1:59:42 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
JulienHuxley 2516:182
Originally posted by robrules
I guess everyone is happy with the quality of hops from hopsdirect then? Huh, maybe its just me then...

Always found freshopsí hops way better quality. Hopsdirectís hops have always been full of branches and leaves and too dry. So no, it isnít just you.
1/3/2014 2:08:43 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
HopUnion stuff is showing up on Amazon. You can buy pounds or whatever.
1/4/2014 9:32:57 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Originally posted by JulienHuxley

Always found freshopsí hops way better quality. Hopsdirectís hops have always been full of branches and leaves and too dry. So no, it isnít just you.

Iím not sure how dried hops can be "too dry" especially when theyíre selling them by weight. I do know that bad things happen when theyíre too wet.
1/4/2014 9:39:46 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
JulienHuxley 2516:182
hmmm, not a comment about the actual residual moisture in the hops but more about their general condition - brittle and broken which affects quality of hops because lupulin is lost.
1/4/2014 9:47:39 AM

Post a reply Post reply

robrules 1
Originally posted by JulienHuxley

I tried a couple different varieties of pellets from them a few years back and all seemed to have a earthy/dirt flavor when used for dryhopping. One bag of cascade was so bad I went out of my way to send it back - the replacement was better, but still not useable for dryhopping for my tastes. Maybe things have changed in the last few years, but I canít risk ruining more beer with them since I donít brew as often as I once did. I would rather pay a little extra and know I can rely on them. I have had good luck with current season pellets when they become available from farmhouse supply and morebeer - although morebeer seems to do a better job at packaging (and does smaller bags) than farmhouse - I just use those within 6 months and save the morebeer hops for the second 6 months of the year.
1/6/2014 12:43:48 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
I one a first place and BOS for an American IPA using HopsDirect hops last year. Small competition, but a big freaking trophy mug and a cash prize. So they canít be too horrible.
1/6/2014 9:49:37 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add