RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Hoptimum vs. another DIPA

read 2009 times • 23 replies • posted 2/25/2012 9:12:10 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

erway 1004:41
So... I had this tonight from the four-pack and ...WOW! What an amazingly straight-forward but effective hop aroma. The resinous bittering is awe-inspiring, especially considering the amount of alcohol, and the beer itself is flawless. Literally flawless. I personally like less abv in my DIPAs, but they pull this off incredibly well. I thought the first edition was great. This is even better.

So I sampled another California DIPA today. One brewed by another Cali brewery that gets an enormous amount of buzz. It was dated less than a month old in the bottle. It is ranked higher than hoptimum as well... Diacetyl bomb. Barely any hop aroma to speak of. This should have been flawless. But no... Riddled with diacetyl and oxidation. How could something like this be rated so high? I am not gonna reveal which beer I had, because I just donít do that. But I must ask, as a commercial brewer, has buzz and hype around breweries gotten so high that we canít call shit beer shit beer because it is made by a certain brewer that has gained notoriety that quite possibly might not be deserved? Have we gotten to the point where we pay 0 attention to whether a brewer actually knows how to package their product in a responsible manner and make sure that it gets to market in a respectable way? Are we, as a community blinded by our own expectations?

I have been on this site for more than 10 years now, and I owe this community a great deal, but as of late, I am depressed by the extreme level of blinded reviews that I have read of beers that are from this brewery or that brewery that are exceptionally high, for no other reason than they should be high because of the source of the product. Equally depressed because beer from many other great breweries, is overlooked by the less educated because it isnít from a brewery that is well known.

I know there will be some that scruff this off as being whining and repetitive, but chances are, Iíve been here longer than you and have contributed more than you so suck it.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
dcschiller 2203:45
Originally posted by erway
So... I had this tonight from the four-pack and ...WOW! What an amazingly straight-forward but effective hop aroma. The resinous bittering is awe-inspiring, especially considering the amount of alcohol, and the beer itself is flawless. Literally flawless. I personally like less abv in my DIPAs, but they pull this off incredibly well. I thought the first edition was great. This is even better.

So I sampled another California DIPA today. One brewed by another Cali brewery that gets an enormous amount of buzz. It was dated less than a month old in the bottle. It is ranked higher than hoptimum as well... Diacetyl bomb. Barely any hop aroma to speak of. This should have been flawless. But no... Riddled with diacetyl and oxidation. How could something like this be rated so high? I am not gonna reveal which beer I had, because I just donít do that. But I must ask, as a commercial brewer, has buzz and hype around breweries gotten so high that we canít call shit beer shit beer because it is made by a certain brewer that has gained notoriety that quite possibly might not be deserved? Have we gotten to the point where we pay 0 attention to whether a brewer actually knows how to package their product in a responsible manner and make sure that it gets to market in a respectable way? Are we, as a community blinded by our own expectations?

I have been on this site for more than 10 years now, and I owe this community a great deal, but as of late, I am depressed by the extreme level of blinded reviews that I have read of beers that are from this brewery or that brewery that are exceptionally high, for no other reason than they should be high because of the source of the product. Equally depressed because beer from many other great breweries, is overlooked by the less educated because it isnít from a brewery that is well known.

I know there will be some that scruff this off as being whining and repetitive, but chances are, Iíve been here longer than you and have contributed more than you so suck it.

I think you are absolutely right. I had this same conversation with some friends 2 days ago, but with regards to an imperial stout. I argued that if the lesser known stout we tried had a different label on it, then it would be getting all kinds of praise.
2/25/2012 9:16:22 PM

Private message send the author a private message

FURLYSURIOUS 263:1
TLDR
2/25/2012 9:17:39 PM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by FURLYSURIOUS
TLDR

???

Sorry not familiar with the acronym.
2/25/2012 9:20:42 PM

wavers1 872:40
torpedo and pale ale in cans is awesome. drank several 4 packs of torpedo last week, awesome for $6 a 4. and i got a 12 pack of pale ale cans for $10. cant really beat that. fresh as fuck too!
2/25/2012 9:24:29 PM

strange though, i havent seen hoptimum in any form anywhere in cali, and i was just up in chico even....
2/25/2012 9:29:20 PM

premium
HogTownHarry 6042:28
TDLR = "talk like douchey recidivists"
2/25/2012 9:35:15 PM

miketd 125
I agree, many people "rate" a beer before it even passes their lips, and many breweries get by on reputation alone. Whatever, I ignore all the buzz and go by what I like.
2/25/2012 9:47:55 PM

after a recent trip to sierra nevada, i can say that they set the standard for hoppy beers. keep in mind, i say the standard. and they also go to the extremes, though there are more extrmeme out there. however, they have such a solid line up, and so many awesome hoppy beers: pale ale, pale ale draught, celebration, hoptimum, torpedo, the fersh hop hemispheres, bigfoot, etc.

as the new standard, you can now get great ipas and iipas from them for a a really great price. and theres no arguing that they taste great, especially for the price.

around here at least they are pretty much in direct competition with some of the macros price wise. For good, fresh, hoppy beer. Yes please!!!! :D
2/25/2012 10:21:15 PM

mtoast 336:13
Iíve only had it on tap, last year, aroma was flat, hop flavor was sorely missing and way too much booze came through. Fresh keg on clean lines.

Iím still looking forward trying it this year.
2/26/2012 2:24:08 AM

premium
jmikolich 1427:110
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by FURLYSURIOUS
TLDR

???

Sorry not familiar with the acronym.

Too Long: didnít read, mostly because he doesnít realize the person that posted is one of the more knowledgeable and well spoken people on this site..

Also ISO said Hoptimum
2/26/2012 9:26:28 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback