RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

How do you ferment your sour beers?

read 2942 times • 94 replies • posted 12/10/2013 9:19:09 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
RABinCO 1285:80
starting to think HornyDevil is just a troll.
12/10/2013 5:38:36 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
artmcd8 1607:87
Originally posted by RABinVA

I can see where you might think that but it is false.
12/10/2013 6:04:24 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Rack off of fruit - I try to let the beer condition off of the fruit for at least a couple weeks before bottling

Cold crash?

Nope. Just allow it to get off the yeast cake and the fruit pieces so that I can get a finished beer into bottles that is as clear as possible.
12/10/2013 6:10:09 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by artmcd8

12/10/2013 6:10:41 PM

premium
RABinCO 1285:80
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by artmcd8

Ah, just blissfully ignorant then. Noted
12/10/2013 6:17:37 PM

premium
wnoble 1251:
Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by wnoble
the only sour I brewed was a totally spontaneous "coolship" type experiment. I called it a sour BUT itís still not sour after 9 months. shit.

Whereís the gravity at? What time of year was the wort set out?

When Iíve left wort outside in the late fall/early winter, the cold temp prevented anything from growing reproducibly (n=3, set out 3 mason jars, one developed mold after a week, and the other two didnít change even after a period of ~4 weeks)

I havenít checked the gravity, just tasted it back in September and it had a noticeable amount of sweet extract left but really had a nice almost saison/farmhouse character. No mold, just a thick brown yeast cake on top. I left it sit out for 36 hours back in Feb when it was about 40 at night.
12/10/2013 7:00:39 PM

premium
CLevar 376:10
the only sour I brewed was a totally spontaneous "coolship" type experiment. I called it a sour BUT itís still not sour after 9 months. shit.

Whereís the gravity at? What time of year was the wort set out?

When Iíve left wort outside in the late fall/early winter, the cold temp prevented anything from growing reproducibly (n=3, set out 3 mason jars, one developed mold after a week, and the other two didnít change even after a period of ~4 weeks)

I havenít checked the gravity, just tasted it back in September and it had a noticeable amount of sweet extract left but really had a nice almost saison/farmhouse character. No mold, just a thick brown yeast cake on top. I left it sit out for 36 hours back in Feb when it was about 40 at night.

Iíd just let it keep going. Cross your fingers and hope pedio gets going?
12/10/2013 7:16:23 PM

premium
CLevar 376:10
Also, Iíd be keen on a picture of this brown yeast cake. After so long, Iíd imagine that the krausen would have fallen, and Iíve not really seen a pellicle be anything other than white.
12/10/2013 7:18:21 PM

premium
wnoble 1251:
Iíll post up some pics and a gravity reading in a couple weeks when I head back to Indiana.

As of the last time I looked at it back in Sept, there wasnít a pellicle just the floating yeast.
12/10/2013 7:27:33 PM

HornyDevil
Iím of the opinion that a more diverse pitch is better, especially if the goal is to create something with complexity as opposed to simply being sour and super attenuated. To this end, stepping up dregs in wort+glucose (to help bugs along that canít ferment maltose) seems to work well, especially when supplemented with healthy pitches of different Brett strains to get things going.

I could not agree more.

Adding oak in some way shape or form seems to be a good thing.

What kind of oak?

Not so taken with oak character in a finished sour beer. That being said, it seems to become incorporated a lot more quickly in dark sour beers, as compared to their light counterparts. I did a light, but high ABV, sour a couple years ago that is just coming into its own because I used about a fourth of a spiral of light toast French oak in it. The character was distracting at first, but now, after almost 2 years in the bottle, it is finally tasting more incorporated.

Iím a fan of using spent oak spirals in sour beer as it seems that Brett likes to eat that which is still in the wood once all the oak character has been depleted. This is why Iím very interested in using a spent oak barrel as a primary fermenter. Even though it wonít bring any "oakiness" to the beer, it will bring something different than a beer that has spent itís primary fermentation in plastic, glass, or stainless.
12/11/2013 3:57:09 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add