How do you say ’Pliny’?

Reads 42920 • Replies 57 • Started Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:06:14 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Gypsy19
beers 726 º places 11 º 22:12 Wed 7/29/2009

Plywood.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 22:48 Wed 7/29/2009

Originally posted by TampaBrew
Vinnie says "PLY-KNEE" ... good enough for me.

Then it ain’t a tribute to Gaius Plinius Secundus (Pliny the Elder) or Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (Pliny the Younger) since that is an incorrect pronunciation of their names.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 22:55 Wed 7/29/2009

But - he didn’t brew the beer did he?

It’s like the tune "Gates of Urizen" where Bruce sings Urizen to rhyme with ’horizon’ because it sounds cooler that "YUR-risen". Plus he’s in Maiden, so I win!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 00:45 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by Cletus

Then it ain’t a tribute to Gaius Plinius Secundus (Pliny the Elder) or Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (Pliny the Younger) since that is an incorrect pronunciation of their names.

Right, we know exactly how people in that time and in that particular region spoke the language because some dude with an iPhone caught them all at roll call in the Senate.

I know English. And Aussies say, "Ploy-nuh".

ChazMania
beers 669 º places 13 º 02:06 Thu 7/30/2009

My history prof said it with a short i as well, thus pliny, while I learned it from beer folks calling it plynee. I have tried to slowly convert my friends to say pliny, but they done go for it.....they just drink it.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 02:53 Thu 7/30/2009

keep in mind we are in collie-fourn- ee-ahh. san rafael is pronounced ’san ruh-fell’, not ’saan roff-I-L’.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 03:11 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by wavers1

keep in mind we are in collie-fourn- ee-ahh. san rafael is pronounced ’san ruh-fell’, not ’saan roff-I-L’.

That one killed me when I moved here. I was incredulous. "Ru-FELL?!" I went to a Catholic school where one of the students was beautifully called "rrra phi EL", while one of the nuns - my second grade teacher - who also took the name of the archangel called herself "Sister Ray-Field". She also pronounced wagon as waygun. She marked my wah-gin pronunciation wrong on a test. I will never forget that!

Still nothing compares to the willful Texan butchering of the Spanish language. Try "man shack" (yes! man shack!) for manchaca - sin crapo!

illidurit
beers 2407 º places 20 º 03:15 Thu 7/30/2009

it rhymes with mini and nothing’s gonna make me change my mind

Defreni
beers 5538 º places 124 º 04:06 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by IrishBoy
Most everyone out here uses the long I, but the short I was correct if I remember pronunciation from my collage Philosophy class!

Hopefully that was the history class, as I would question any philosophy class featuring any of the Plinys.

Regards

Defreni

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 04:07 Thu 7/30/2009

Originally posted by joet

Right, we know exactly how people in that time and in that particular region spoke the language because some dude with an iPhone caught them all at roll call in the Senate.

I know English. And Aussies say, "Ploy-nuh".

Ship me an iPhone and I will read it for you
I’m not good in writing phonetics, but Plinius is somehow "Plee-nee-oos", where the "iu" ("ee-oo") is pronounced alltogether and faster than it seems

(by the way, to me it was natural to think as "ply-nee the elder" when I saw the English name; still don’t know about the Younger because I’m still ISO!)