How much damage does warming an already cold beer actually do?

Reads 3147 • Replies 30 • Started Friday, November 30, 2012 9:52:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 09:52 Fri 11/30/2012

I’m well aware that if you buy a cold beer, let it warm up then chill it again, you’re doing absolutely no favours for the beer at all.

However, at some stage soon I’ll probably need to do just that out of necessity with basically no way around it.

So my question is: How much damage does it actually do to the beer? i.e. to what degree will the damage be? totally ruined or still somewhat acceptable. How does it affect the taste, aroma etc?..

I’m sure the question will come up so they will mostly be IPA/DIPAs, Stouts and perhaps some lagers.

Any help from people who actually brew beer or know specifically about this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:55 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by Sevenlee

So my question is: How much damage does it actually do to the beer?

None. A lot of beer you’ve drank has probably seen a wide range of temperature shifts before it gets to you. Keep it cold whenever possible to preserve freshness. Warming up a beer won’t do anything to it but make it warm if you’re talking room temperature. Obviously a 130 degree car is a different story.

Feel free to do a test for yourself. Grab a six pack and keep one warm and one cold. Also, rotate a third bottle from fridge temperature to room temperature a few times for a week. See if you notice anything.

legion242
beers 2345 º places 122 º 10:00 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan

None. A lot of beer you’ve drank has probably seen a wide range of temperature shifts before it gets to you. Keep it cold whenever possible to preserve freshness. Warming up a beer won’t do anything to it but make it warm if you’re talking room temperature. Obviously a 130 degree car is a different story.

This. Anyone who thinks their beer has been kept cold from the brewery to your bag is fooling themselves.
Cold to room temp is no problem.
Cold to hot would be a problem.

CLevar
places 23 º 10:06 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by legion242

This. Anyone who thinks their beer has been kept cold from the brewery to your bag is fooling themselves.

This is why we have rules for microwaving beer.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:08 Fri 11/30/2012

about how long for a long neck bottle exactly?

Sevenlee
beers 1845 º places 82 º 10:23 Fri 11/30/2012

Thanks for your responses guys. Seems I’ve now been educated! I’ll feel better about transporting my pre-chilled, pre-warmed, pre-chilled again beers.

Cheers!

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:35 Fri 11/30/2012

While I agree with the above posts nearly 100%, there’s an important beer storage concept that must also be stated here.

Certain reactions within the finished beer may happen at a temperature "sweet spot" in which conditions supporting chemical or biological changes are maximal and/or conditions suppressing those changes are minimal or the right combination thereof. A beer slowly passing through a sweet spot or passing through that sweet spot repeatedly will be very unhappy.

So there’s something to be said for rapid cooling once you have beer in a warm state. You might take a prize beer after shipping and put it into an ice water bath, wrapped in a plastic bag if you care about the labels, before refrigerating.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 10:37 Fri 11/30/2012

Originally posted by CLevar
Originally posted by legion242

This is why we have rules for microwaving beer.

I never microwave stouts but IPAs are better around 90 degrees, imho

CLevar
places 23 º 12:08 Fri 11/30/2012

about how long for a long neck bottle exactly?

litheum94
13:26 Fri 11/30/2012

I have never ever experienced a problem with warming a beer up. As stated above, as long as it’s not sitting in a sweltering car for an extended amount of time, you shouldn’t have any problems.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 14:41 Fri 11/30/2012

It will skunk your beer.