RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

How much is good beer in Canada?

read 6693 times • 17 replies • posted 11/3/2009 3:13:54 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

shawn14505 39:
With the U.S. Dollar being virtually equal in value to the Canadian Dollar, we can discuss beer prices and value apples to apples. I have a few questions for our Canadian members:

1)What is your most popular (macro) beer and how much is it a 6 pack?

2) How much more on average is American craft beers?

3) What is your cheapest widely consumed brew?

4) Why are you trying to steal the Buffalo Bills away from Ny and move them to Toronto? Just kidding
Private message Send the author a private message

matt7215 2151:64
Originally posted by shawn14505
With the U.S. Dollar being virtually equal in value to the Canadian Dollar, we can discuss beer prices and value apples to apples. I have a few questions for our Canadian members:

1)What is your most popular (macro) beer and how much is it a 6 pack?

2) How much more on average is American craft beers?

3) What is your cheapest widely consumed brew?

4) Why are you trying to steal the Buffalo Bills away from Ny and move them to Toronto? Just kidding

1)coors light - $12
2) $15 / 6 pack or $8 per bomber
3) the cheapest you can legaly purchased beer is $26.50 + deposit so, $28.90 for a 24. that all undrinkable swill though
4) we love terrible teams, just look at the leafs, jays, and raptors
11/3/2009 3:23:51 PM

Private message send the author a private message

DerWeg 1482:38
In Ontario, the USA Craft six-packs typically range from 13-16 though Brooklyn Lager was recently 11-12 - it’s now 14.50!! Currency fluctuations must be killing the sales.

And bombers have in recent times sold in Ontario for as little as 5-6 bucks I believe. We have gotten some Rogue stuff fairly cheap. Will soon let you know about Southern Tier bombers of Créme Brulée.

Anchor Libery Ale 650mls are 3.95, Anchor Steam is 12.45 a six pack.
11/3/2009 3:52:25 PM

premium
CapFlu 4458:200
Okay. This may sound like I’m coming off on the wrong note, but these questions are so generic and geographically void:

1a) Most popular beer across Canada, a country spanning over 4600 miles, likely its Budweiser (made by Labatts in Canada).

1b) Prices vary across the country as Provinces, like most US States, due to control liquor and taxation rates set by jurisdictions. I suspect the cheapest 6-pack of Bud could be had for around $9.99 in Quebec; but the average is likely closer to $12.99 elsewhere. There are cheaper brands than Budweiser (Wildcat, Pacific Western, etc) which could be priced as low as $7.99 a 6-pack.

2) Again, by state, it varies greatly. A bomber bottle of Rogue Dead Guy could be $6.99 in BC, $4.99 in Ontario?

3) By Province - I’d guess - and this is only a crazy uneducated guess: Lucky Lager (BC); Budweiser or MGD (Alberta); Molson Pilsner (Saskatchewan); Molson Canadian (Manitoba); Budweiser (Ontario); Wildcat (Quebec); and finally Moosehead or Keith’s in Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick and Newfoundland).

4) Toronto desperately WANTS to be an American city. They even ship their garbage to Detroit for favours.
11/3/2009 4:10:04 PM

premium
TimE 3086:241
Originally posted by

Your totally off base. Lucky is ABSOLUTELY the drink of choice for bums in Alberta - about 6 a 6 I would say. Bud or MDG!!!! WOW, you must think even the poor are rich in Alberta (please note I am being sarcastic ). Those are some high flyin’ brews for a lot of people.

I think Oakes recent article touched on this subject and Canada has the most similar tasting, over priced swill in the world. At least US swill is very cheap.

Tim

11/3/2009 4:17:23 PM

DerWeg 1482:38
Oh - and get this:
- We in Ontario started getting more USA Micros when the CAD was close but still under the USD.
- When the CAD went OVER the USD for a while, the prices stayed the same with no drop but were reasonable.
- When the CAD dropped from 1.10 to a more traditional .85 or so (completely reasonable!) the sixer prices started going insane, and 13-14-dollar packs were going over 16, causing something of a concern.
- Prices had to be slightly moderated but are still way high.
- Now that the CAD is way up again, there is of course no downward price adjustment... and somebody in the middle is slurping up the extra margins.

I guess what we can expect to happen repeatedly are price increases the minute the CAD falls, never the reverse. I call this the ’greed ratcheting’ effect of adjusting prices in only one direction.
11/3/2009 4:19:16 PM

premium
CapFlu 4458:200
Well, the other concern about this thread is that the subject line said "good beer" but all the questions were regarding macro swill puke.

Also, I cannot believe no Ontario response regarding my Toronto post.
11/3/2009 6:14:38 PM

zdk 1807:95
I happen to have dual citizenship with Canada, so I spent a good deal of time there. Though always with my family so, besides for the odd bar, I’ve never bought alcohol in Ontario.

I know in Quebec they have Deps and private stores, but Ontario all I’ve seen are those "Beer Stores" and LCBOs. Do they sell craft beer in these places? It seems unlikely somehow.
11/4/2009 6:36:53 AM

minch25 577:1
Originally posted by zdk
I happen to have dual citizenship with Canada, so I spent a good deal of time there. Though always with my family so, besides for the odd bar, I’ve never bought alcohol in Ontario.

I know in Quebec they have Deps and private stores, but Ontario all I’ve seen are those "Beer Stores" and LCBOs. Do they sell craft beer in these places? It seems unlikely somehow.

The Beer Stores are where you return empty bottles/cans for cash (I think $0.10 per). The LCBOs next door is where the alcohol is sold. With a few exceptions there is no good beer sold there.
11/4/2009 11:44:47 PM

MrManning 2003:60
Originally posted by CapFlu

I laughed out loud at that Todd. Funny stuff.
11/5/2009 5:56:31 AM

premium
jercraigs 7456:270
Originally posted by CapFlu
Well, the other concern about this thread is that the subject line said "good beer" but all the questions were regarding macro swill puke.

I think it got the response it deserved Todd ;) Anti-Toronto sentiments across Canada are typically based solely on stereotype and hypocricy - or trying to get a rise out of Torontonians. Meh!
11/5/2009 7:23:17 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers