Hypothetical: If White Labs, Wyeast, BSI, Brewlabs ceased to exist...

read 458 times • 5 replies •

Thread Frozen
beers 1750 º places 50 º 11:03 Fri 9/7/2012

If White Labs, Wyeast, BSI and Brewlabs ceased to exist, what would you use to ferment your beer?

beers 72 º places 1511 º 11:05 Fri 9/7/2012

All the 10oz bottles that I save some yeast cake in. Or bottle dregs. I guarantee that within a week of this happening you would see people trading yeast and shortly after that a new company would start up.

beers 3116 º places 51 º 11:07 Fri 9/7/2012

Yeast from fermentis

On a more serious note: Id probably salvage the yeast I have in my fermenters/fridge right now (WLP001, lacto, brett from 3F/Boon/Cantillon) and use that as house yeast(s) for a while. After that, Id start cultivating from bottles.

beers 1396 º places 312 º 11:32 Fri 9/7/2012

I live in Costa Rica so what you propose is a practical reality for us. IMO dried yeast works like a dream and is a snap to use, only thing it lacks is variety. I like to play around with different dry-yeast combinations.

places 16 º 11:54 Fri 9/7/2012

All the glycerol stocks I have saved? Or is that cheating...

11:57 Fri 9/7/2012

Originally posted by VsXsV
Id start cultivating from bottles.

In fact, I do this with the vast majority of my sour/funky beers.

The only time I use commercial yeast is when I brew hoppy beers and then I simply pitch a packet of US05.

The rest of the time I either grow a starter from a commercial beer or a homebrew.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer