RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

ILCC cracks down on homebrew events

read 751 times • 12 replies • posted 4/20/2012 2:05:52 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

beergurujr 2:
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
kmweaver 3206:116
Is it?
4/20/2012 2:11:59 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
smith4498 2980:20
Susan Hofer, spokesperson for Illinois liquor Control Commission.

"The reason we call it home brewing is because you serve it at home to friends and family and invited guests," she said.

Weird. I always thought it was called home brewing because you brewed it at home. Man, I am such an idiot.

Thank you Susan Hofer for setting me straight.
4/20/2012 2:23:21 PM

kryptic
Its Illinois. Is anyone really suprised by shit like this?
4/20/2012 2:37:48 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Originally posted by smith4498

"The reason we call it home brewing is because you serve it at home to friends and family and invited guests," she said.

Weird. I always thought it was called home brewing because you brewed it at home. Man, I am such an idiot.

Someone should send Susan Hofer a few pictures of what the inside of a lambic brewery looks like since her primary concern seems to be sanitation.
4/20/2012 3:00:56 PM

JMerritt 1767:72
Originally posted by kmweaver
Is it?

Is it what? "Cracking down?" Arguably. "Disturbing?" Yes. The law itself is quite disturbing.
4/20/2012 3:15:22 PM

kryptic
You gotta play by the rules of the land you live in. Remember, this is Illinois politics...

Hofer said the state has concerns about safety, as there is no way to know how the product is produced and under what circumstances. Plus, home brewers arenít paying taxes on the product.

Like I said, Illinois politics, read between the lines. She is asking for a little "donation" from homebrewers to get her palms a little greasy...

4/20/2012 3:18:50 PM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Originally posted by kryptic
You gotta play by the rules of the land you live in. Remember, this is Illinois politics...

Hofer said the state has concerns about safety, as there is no way to know how the product is produced and under what circumstances. Plus, home brewers arenít paying taxes on the product.

Like I said, Illinois politics, read between the lines. She is asking for a little "donation" from homebrewers to get her palms a little greasy...

this is pretty hilarious. you are joking right?
4/20/2012 3:33:12 PM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by smith4498

Someone should send Susan Hofer a few pictures of what the inside of a lambic brewery looks like since her primary concern seems to be sanitation.

This kind of makes me wonder...could the same "lambic brewery" just located in the US/or certain states have licensing issues. I really have no idea, just wondering. I guess the question is how much sanitation regulation is there with production breweries.
4/20/2012 3:40:07 PM

DA 1
This happend a year ago or so here in Oregon where they reinterpretted an old law. It stated something like Homebrewing is legal to do in your home, which all of a sudden they took as "only in your home" and shut down all the state homebrew competitions. Hopefully IL is like OR and in the next legislative session they setup up and fix it.
4/20/2012 4:25:07 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by kryptic

I noticed the same thing, but weíre really talking about a way to rationalize blue laws. That way itís not just the right thing to do morally, itís also socially and financially responsible.

But Iím not sure how you would tax something thatís not being sold.
4/20/2012 6:00:12 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add