I’m starting the think the best brewery in the world is actually Sierra Nevada

Reads 6546 • Replies 79 • Started Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:23:30 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bigred22
beers 85 º 11:47 Mon 8/25/2014

Deschutes, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, Odell, and Widmer Bros are all better then Sierra Nevada. They are all larger and mass produce. Sierra Nevada is not bad... I’d put their pale ale up against anyone’s, but the struggle mightily elsewhere. Sierra Nevada is a middle of the pack brewery in the same category as Boulevard and New Belgium... Good but not great

theisti
beers 5287 º places 1153 º 12:21 Mon 8/25/2014

Originally posted by bigred22
Deschutes, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, Odell, and Widmer Bros are all better then Sierra Nevada. They are all larger ......

http://www.brewersassociation.org/attachments/0001/4525/CBP13_Top_50.pdf

2. Sierra Nevada
5. Lagunitas
6. Deschutes
10. Stone
26. Founders
34. Odell
N/A. Widmer (part of A/B)

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 12:57 Mon 8/25/2014

Originally posted by theisti
Deschutes, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, Odell, and Widmer Bros are all better then Sierra Nevada. They are all larger ......

2. Sierra Nevada
5. Lagunitas
6. Deschutes
10. Stone
26. Founders
34. Odell

I don’t think he meant to say that they were larger than SN, just larger than average

bigred22
beers 85 º 13:53 Mon 8/25/2014

Originally posted by obguthr
Originally posted by theisti

2. Sierra Nevada
5. Lagunitas
6. Deschutes
10. Stone
26. Founders
34. Odell

I don’t think he meant to say that they were larger than SN, just larger than average

correct

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 14:08 Mon 8/25/2014

Deschutes, Stone, Lagunitas, Founders, Odell, and Widmer Bros are all better then Sierra Nevada. They are all larger and mass produce. Sierra Nevada is not bad... I’d put their pale ale up against anyone’s, but the struggle mightily elsewhere. Sierra Nevada is a middle of the pack brewery in the same category as Boulevard and New Belgium... Good but not great

Odell and Deschutes are available in very few places, if at all, on the entire East coast, which misses the point of the OP. Founders can also be tough to find on the West coast. Sierra Nevada’s availability is part of the argument. Besides that, I disagree with you fundamentally on many of those breweries being as good or better than SN.

craftycarl21
beers 2338 º places 93 º 14:14 Mon 8/25/2014

In what category does Sierra Nevada struggle, particularly one that any of those breweries excels in?

bigred22
beers 85 º 14:30 Mon 8/25/2014

Let me give a very good example... Hoptimum... Most off balanced double IPA I’ve drank. I Love DIPAs and was excited for it. Bought a case with high hopes. There is hops that are great and work well... And there are that just punch you in the face in a bad way... Lagunitas Hopstoopid = Fantastic... Sierra Nevada Hoptimum = burn my tongue with crap

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:33 Mon 8/25/2014

I’m not sure why this thread is upsetting but it is.

I like Sierra, but best in the world? I feel like you’re talking about a whole different league in a whole different sport.

Who in their right mind would not give up riches to live in a cabin atop Hill Farmstead, Kernel, Cellarmaker, Dupont, Tired Hands, Adairius, Hair Of The Dog, Russian River or thirty other breweries before even considering most of the breweries mentioned in this thread?

If I drink Sierra, I wouldn’t be offended by anything, but given a choice between Sierra and the many great California breweries sitting in my fridge, I must say, I have precious few options when it comes to "repeat beers" in my tasting schedule.

I might not have a Sierra Nevada beer for six months or longer.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 14:36 Mon 8/25/2014

Than. See, perhaps if you learned that, THEN you would understand beers better.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 14:38 Mon 8/25/2014

Originally posted by joet
I’m not sure why this thread is upsetting but it is.

I took it as a generalization - which generally is inaccurate. And a nod to respecting a brewery that helped spread craft beers to the masses.

But that is just my take.

generally I hate beer and just drink it to piss you guys off.