im sure this has been done before

Reads 2140 • Replies 37 • Started Friday, March 13, 2015 2:03:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 15:45 Fri 3/13/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
If I keep this bottle of birra Moretti I have in my hand in the cupboard for another two years, will it be a different entry. Isnt that the same as leaving beer in a sterile metal barrel.

If i add coffee to my Beer is that a different Entry?

My point is that what a Brewer does to a beer is what makes it different.

If i Brewer releases It fresh, and Releases an Aged Version, thats not the same as me keeping a bottle for X years, in the same way that a brewer adding coffee to beer is not the same as me adding coffee.

Ive had this discussion before on Rb about what makes a distinct beer.
Its not Place or Brewer(as Bud is breweed by multiple people in multiple places)

Its not Recipe (as we all know recipes change over time but the beer stays the same)

so what is it?

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 15:55 Fri 3/13/2015

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
If I keep this bottle of birra Moretti I have in my hand in the cupboard for another two years, will it be a different entry. Isnt that the same as leaving beer in a sterile metal barrel.

If i add coffee to my Beer is that a different Entry?

My point is that what a Brewer does to a beer is what makes it different.

If i Brewer releases It fresh, and Releases an Aged Version, thats not the same as me keeping a bottle for X years, in the same way that a brewer adding coffee to beer is not the same as me adding coffee.

Ive had this discussion before on Rb about what makes a distinct beer.
Its not Place or Brewer(as Bud is breweed by multiple people in multiple places)

Its not Recipe (as we all know recipes change over time but the beer stays the same)

so what is it?

I see where you are coming from, but surely a brewers intention can only go so far.

Scopey
beers 24178 º places 727 º 16:18 Fri 3/13/2015

Originally posted by Scopey
Recipe makes a beer different not marketing.

So storing in wood isnt any different than storing in metal. Its jusst storage, thats no recipe chance.

and i dont see selling a beer that 7 years old as just marketing.

id suggest that a 8year old whisky is seen by most people as different than a 15 or a 30 year old whisky. But maybe that is all marketing

Aging in wood is part of the recipe.

Scopey
beers 24178 º places 727 º 16:23 Fri 3/13/2015

So storing in wood isnt any different than storing in metal. Its jusst storage, thats no recipe chance.

id suggest that a 8year old whisky is seen by most people as different than a 15 or a 30 year old whisky. But maybe that is all marketing
R
no I totally agree an 8 year old whisky must be the same as a 15 year old. Obviously wood has no effect on a beverage. Sorry I mean metal. The difference in aged whisky is how long it has been in wood not metal. Like beer in that respect.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 16:33 Fri 3/13/2015

but if a brewery DELIBERATELY releases a aged VINTAGE of a beer
but i dont know case. but should this be a new rating. I dont think the rules allow for it. But i wonder if they should

Stewarts have had Cauld Reekie for a long time now just as Cauld reekiee. But they released a few months back

Cauld reekie 2008

Something that they have kept and released in separate distinct packaging.

if it had been in wood all that time i would be new, but we all know time does stuff to beer. so should this be new

Yes time does do stuff to beer. Look at a cask conditioned beer. I will take Goachers Fine Light Ale as an example. On day one it’s lightly malty with some fresh orange hop. On day two it’s developed a slightly more sweet fruit flavour, by day three it’s full on marmalade. Beers develop. My homebrew develops over time, sometimes for the best, sometimes not. It’s still the same beer.
C’mon Craig this isn’t your first rodeo, you know the state of the game.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 02:43 Sat 3/14/2015

R
no I totally agree an 8 year old whisky must be the same as a 15 year old. Obviously wood has no effect on a beverage. Sorry I mean metal. The difference in aged whisky is how long it has been in wood not metal. Like beer in that respect.

So if the fresh release had been in wood for a week/a month/a year and then the released one in wood for 6 years would that be different?

But i dispute that 6 years sitting in metal changes the beer any less.

Weve all had new and old beers and id think most of us would consider them different beast. If not why do so many people deliberately cellar beers.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 02:47 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni

Yes time does do stuff to beer. Look at a cask conditioned beer. I will take Goachers Fine Light Ale as an example. On day one it’s lightly malty with some fresh orange hop. On day two it’s developed a slightly more sweet fruit flavour, by day three it’s full on marmalade. Beers develop. My homebrew develops over time, sometimes for the best, sometimes not. It’s still the same beer.
C’mon Craig this isn’t your first rodeo, you know the state of the game.

Yeah i totally agree, but i think theresca big difference between splitting out what happens to a beer after the brewer has released it, and a brewer deliberately releasing and old vintage. Especially when thay clearly label it differently and mark its vintage. They clearly dont see it as the same product

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 05:53 Sat 3/14/2015

That does look like it would be acceptable as a new entry Craig, as separately marketing beer that has undergone a differentiating process, such as aging, is generally seen as grounds for a new entry. We are not talking about a shop selling a vintage bottle of a beer, but of a brewery undergoing a deliberate process and marketing it as such.

The length a beer is matured is part of the recipe. Recipe is about time as well as ingredients. Indeed, without the time factor, there isn’t a recipe, simply a list of ingredients. Time, temperature, and processing are all part of the recipe. Seven years is a significant time in terms of maturing a beer.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:29 Sat 3/14/2015

Actually, a beer will get a new listing if the recipe is changed. As long as it’s not just a minor tweak. And, of course, that’s a judgement call & we often don’t have full enough information, including exactly when the change occurred.

But the other issue is how easy it is for consumers (and admins) to tell the beers apart. If it doesn’t pass the "idiot test", it doesn’t get a new entry. That’s obviously an easier starting point than attemping to delve into the minutiae of the recipe.

And we have to catch it early. It’s all but impossible to split a beer and make sure all the ratings go in the right place later on. Many ratings don’t contain enough information to allocate them to the right version anyway. If it can’t be guaranteed that most, if not all, ratings are in the right place, that defeats the object of splitting. It’s about more than whether an individual gets an extra rating (or not).

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 06:58 Sat 3/14/2015

Ok - so the 2 Windsor & Eton beers I referred to up thread, should I add those as new beers?

They are Conqueror 1075, aged in metal cask, than bottled and listed clearly on the bottle as 2012 and 2013.