im sure this has been done before

Reads 2142 • Replies 37 • Started Friday, March 13, 2015 2:03:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 10:11 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Its not Recipe (as we all know recipes change over time but the beer stays the same)

Actually, a beer will get a new listing if the recipe is changed. As long as it’s not just a minor tweak. And, of course, that’s a judgement call & we often don’t have full enough information, including exactly when the change occurred.

But the other issue is how easy it is for consumers (and admins) to tell the beers apart. If it doesn’t pass the "idiot test", it doesn’t get a new entry. That’s obviously an easier starting point than attemping to delve into the minutiae of the recipe.

here the two bottles.

https://twitter.com/CAGarvie/status/576760820459286528

Im firmly behind the can a numpty tell which beer they have philosophy, but as can be seen there clearly labeled considerably differently and the Vintage is fairly clear.

Now im not going to be heart broken if admins decide not to split. I came in assuming that wouldnt be split. Though i was a little surprised that it seems most people do not consider aged beer any different from fresh beer.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 10:26 Sat 3/14/2015

Can I be the idiot upon whom the basis of whether I can tell one beer from another be based upon? Is there a ceremonial hat or chain or cloak? I really want a cloak.

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 11:40 Sat 3/14/2015

Though i was a little surprised that it seems most people do not consider aged beer any different from fresh beer.

To be fair Craig, your original post was a bit unclear, and you did say you thought that the beers wouldn’t be split. However, it was agreed in a discussion back in 2004 regarding the J. W Lees Harvest beers - probably the first post fermentation beers we split - that if a brewery adjusted a beer post fermentation themselves, and marketed it as a clearly separated beer, that we would have separate listings. So we have since 2004 had agreement that such a beer as you describe should be a new listing. Consensus can of course change, but since 2004 we have had more and more beers split based on post fermentation adjustments. The guideline has always been that if the brewery does it, that it is significant, and if the consumer can tell the difference, then we split. Unless there has been a change in admin thinking that I haven’t noticed, this appears to be a straightforward new listing. If you enter and rate the thing, I’ll verify it. And I’m sorry that you have had to experience some resistance to this, but you’ll have to accept that if you wish to talk to us, that you should make more of an effort at making your communication clear.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 11:47 Sat 3/14/2015

https://www.webrew.co.uk/main/category/shop/

In the same vein as the beer Craig highlights (scroll down a little)the 2012 and 2013 vintage Conqueror 1075’s would also be new beers?

cgarvieuk
beers 37620 º places 457 º 12:59 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Can I be the idiot upon whom the basis of whether I can tell one beer from another be based upon? Is there a ceremonial hat or chain or cloak? I really want a cloak.

on silks advice i reread my first post. I think its all clear whos the idiot here :0

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 13:44 Sat 3/14/2015

I suggest to the admins that we add a new entry for every beer for each day after it has been brewed, as the flavour will have changed.

I automatically gain 200 rates a day and show Jan how to use a fone.

Time to wrap this up.

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 14:05 Sat 3/14/2015

Originally posted by SilkTork
Though i was a little surprised that it seems most people do not consider aged beer any different from fresh beer.

To be fair Craig, your original post was a bit unclear, and you did say you thought that the beers wouldn’t be split. However, it was agreed in a discussion back in 2004 regarding the J. W Lees Harvest beers - probably the first post fermentation beers we split - that if a brewery adjusted a beer post fermentation themselves, and marketed it as a clearly separated beer, that we would have separate listings. So we have since 2004 had agreement that such a beer as you describe should be a new listing. Consensus can of course change, but since 2004 we have had more and more beers split based on post fermentation adjustments. The guideline has always been that if the brewery does it, that it is significant, and if the consumer can tell the difference, then we split. Unless there has been a change in admin thinking that I haven’t noticed, this appears to be a straightforward new listing. If you enter and rate the thing, I’ll verify it. And I’m sorry that you have had to experience some resistance to this, but you’ll have to accept that if you wish to talk to us, that you should make more of an effort at making your communication clear.

Not with you on this one Steve.