In brewers We Trust?

Reads 2508 • Replies 33 • Started Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:24:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 16:17 Tue 9/30/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Originally posted by b3shine
Thank you, hopscotch, for your diligent work in keeping us abreast.

Huh? I think this is a joke.

Me too, but not a funny one. I’m not laughing and I have a great sense of humor. So, way to be condescending, and discouraging an attempt to make the site more technically correct, Shine.

Anyway, as noted in my original post, the brewer refers to this beer as a "Imperial White Milk Stout." They’re just playing around. Pipeworks does that a lot. It’s perfectly cool.

If someone who has actually tried the beer wants to chime in and say it was reminiscent of ratebeer’s style guideline of an "imperial stout," and most other "imperial stouts" they’ve tried, then let’s just lay this to rest.

Ratebeer’s style guideline for "imperial stout" reads: "Imperial stouts are usually extremely dark brown to black in color with flavors that are intensely malty, deeply roasted and sometimes with accents of dark fruit (raisin, fig) and chocolate. The bitterness is typically low to moderate. Imperial stouts are strong and generally exceed 8% ABV."

Also of note, and included in the original post, is that although I submitted my requests via proper ratebeer protocol, I have not recieved the responses I was told I would receive within the 48 hour window. It’s been more like four months... and then two months the second time. I want to make sure the system is working as it should. If not, it would encourage users to submit requests via the forums instead of proper ratebeer protocol... which I’ve sort of done here and was chastised for doing it.

I’m not being radical. I’m just trying to understand why my request was neither honored nor explained away in the e-mail or beermail I was told I’d received.

Maybe there’s a glitch in the system? Something preventing requests from members getting through to the admins when using the "send corrections" or the "contact/feedback" links. Maybe not; but if so, I’d like to let the admins know something’s not working right.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 16:35 Tue 9/30/2014

I can say very quickly that the current policy is:

Brewer’s intent is the style listed here unless blatantly incorrect, which is apparently reserved for the bottom percentile of less competent breweries.

Though I don’t always agree with brewer’s intent, the alternative strategy is to one by one style police each beer in a completely haphazard, subjective fashion.

Only when something is clearly wrong would it be changed.

Recently, we came to an agreement that "Imperial sweet stout" should go into imperial stout instead of sweet stout if it was over 8%.

We should have, and have not made, a "rules book" for this sort of thing so that the policy is more consistent.

For "Blonde Stouts" as they were, these are essentially coffee beers that have no dark color. So they should be in Spice/Herb/Vegetable as they are showcasing one adjunct, coffee, and not creating a coffee flavor to mimic dark roasted malt in a stout.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 16:36 Tue 9/30/2014

Tag away for other blonde/golden/white stouts you know of:
http://www.ratebeer.com/tag/white-stout/

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 17:20 Tue 9/30/2014

Good enough for me.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 17:21 Tue 9/30/2014

Nevermind my previous posts. I’m too wordy and this has been too time consuming. Totally not worth it. Just trying to help out. Nuke this baby and put it out of my misery.

mikem409
beers 2032 º places 251 º 17:27 Tue 9/30/2014

I have had hey careful and nothing about it resembles a stout. Pours is like cloudy cream soda. Taste is sweet boozy cream. Has no coffe/roast or nuttiness

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 17:32 Tue 9/30/2014

fwiw, ASA seems most appropriate or S/H/V

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 17:34 Tue 9/30/2014

Originally posted by hopscotch
Nevermind my previous posts. I’m too wordy and this has been too time consuming. Totally not worth it. Just trying to help out. Nuke this baby and put it out of my misery.

No, this is a good post and I would like more people to read the responses as this is a constant topic of debate.

I agree with beastie here that ASA or S/H/V is the way to go here.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 17:39 Tue 9/30/2014

a similar situation
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/james-page-casper-white-stout/220291/

there is not a hint of dark malts in this beer. Here is a pic
http://notanotherbeerreview.blogspot.com/2014/02/james-page-casper-white-stout.html

should probably be golden ale or S/H/V if artificial flavors count.

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 17:41 Tue 9/30/2014

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by hopscotch

No, this is a good post and I would like more people to read the responses as this is a constant topic of debate.

I too think its an important topic. Style classification, especially nowadays, is very difficult. I may not be able to put it into words but Careful Man does not fit my conceptualization of an Impy Stout.

also, drewbeerme served as the model for that label.