In town for Mondial des Cidres (de Glace)

Reads 3661 • Replies 44 • Started Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:59:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 21:14 Tue 1/20/2015

Originally posted by jercraigs
Originally posted by brokensail
Plus, I’m cool with eating Portuguese chicken, steamies, smoked meat, and Poutine ten times a day.

I plan on gaining 15 pounds in 4 days. Or 6.8 kg as you guys would say.

Rastacouere
beers 6175 º places 701 º 21:49 Tue 1/20/2015

Best Dumplings in town imo = Qing Hua. They have three addresses now. One specializing in dumpling soups on Ste-Catherine W., one on St-Laurent in Chinatown and one on Lincoln, near Guy-Concordia metro station.

Also decent = Roi du Dumpling on St-Marc and Mai Xiang Yuan on St-Laurent(Chinatown, but a few steps away from the better Qing Hua) and Oh! Dumplings on La Gauchetière (Chinatown, see above comment wrt Qing Hua)

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 14:43 Wed 1/21/2015

Originally posted by Rastacouere For Greek Doner, possibly my favorite souvlaki in town are at Ligne Rouge, just outside the Jean Talon metro station.

We stopped there for poutine once... we should have got the souvlaki :) LARGE portions but not the greatest poutine.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 16:05 Wed 1/21/2015

Originally posted by jercraigs
Plus, I’m cool with eating Portuguese chicken, steamies, smoked meat, and Poutine ten times a day.

I plan on gaining 15 pounds in 4 days. Or 6.8 kg as you guys would say.

We have the metric system, but we use feet and pounds for height and weight still, so you’re cool

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 09:46 Mon 2/9/2015

Just updating here that I’ll be leaving VT around noon on Friday and heading up.

I just noticed on this page - http://mondialcidres.com/program.html

The tasting is 1-3PM on Friday, yes? that would mean I miss the actual time of rating ciders. Am I reading that correctly? I have to be back in Stowe. VT by 2PM on Saturday for snowmobiling so it looks like other than meeting a few of you and hitting DDC, there’s not much of a reason to come up.

So can someone confirm that actual time I’ll have to rate ciders on Friday afternoon? If 1-3 is the window, I’ll likely cancel this trip.

----

Note to my CA friends, I will still be coming up to Quebec City for the DDC Peche event. Hoping to meet a few of you and maybe be at Tommy’s house the night before to open a few beers. I owe mathieuc a few beers as well.

tom10101
beers 6528 º places 287 º 09:53 Mon 2/9/2015

Adam: You can taste the Ice Ciders at any time. The 1-3 PM is when there’s a sommelier telling you how to taste Ice Cider. ;)

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:27 Mon 2/9/2015

THANKS! Then I’ll arrive around 3PM and drink my belly full :)

After the Cidre-festival, I’m down for ticking & drinking. Anyone that wants to do some drinking with me @ DDC or another place, just let me know.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:46 Mon 2/9/2015

I’ve heard the best place to get random malt liquor ticks in Quebec is to just go to crappy liquor stores.

I used the Travel Lists feature and it looks like I should be able to get these:

Bowes Special 7 Triple Dry
Brasseurs RJ Tremblay Xtreme
Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock Strong
Coors Altitude
Cyclone 7.2%
Cyclone Power 8.5%
Labatt Blue Dry 10.1%
Labatt Blue Dry 7.1%
Loup-Garou
Molson Black Ice
Molson Carling Black Label Big 10
Molson Carling Black Label Supreme
Molson Dry 7.5%
Molson Dry 8.5%
Molson Dry 10.1%

Any recommendations in the downtown area? Or maybe in some of the other areas I plan on visiting like the Old Port or out by Dieu du Ciel?

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 12:06 Mon 2/9/2015

Jealous. I’d like to rate all of those as well. IP trade?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 12:31 Mon 2/9/2015

Not gonna be able to do any trading. Plus, I’m not even sure what I’ll find...or how long the better half will put up with me popping in to every shady liquor store looking for all the Labatt and Molson garbage that I can find.