In town for Mondial des Cidres (de Glace)

Reads 3668 • Replies 44 • Started Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:59:31 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 12:43 Mon 2/9/2015

Good luck

Also, Saturday plans have been cancelled so I’ll be in Montreal all day Saturday as well.

Quevillon
beers 3376 º places 394 º 20:54 Mon 2/9/2015

Originally posted by brokensail
I’ve heard the best place to get random malt liquor ticks in Quebec is to just go to crappy liquor stores.

I used the Travel Lists feature and it looks like I should be able to get these:

Bowes Special 7 Triple Dry
Brasseurs RJ Tremblay Xtreme
Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock Strong
Coors Altitude
Cyclone 7.2%
Cyclone Power 8.5%
Labatt Blue Dry 10.1%
Labatt Blue Dry 7.1%
Loup-Garou
Molson Black Ice
Molson Carling Black Label Big 10
Molson Carling Black Label Supreme
Molson Dry 7.5%
Molson Dry 8.5%
Molson Dry 10.1%

Any recommendations in the downtown area? Or maybe in some of the other areas I plan on visiting like the Old Port or out by Dieu du Ciel?

Some of these beer may no longer existe, like the Black Label’s and Tremblay Xtreme.

Not far from de Mondial is Bénélux (Downtown) and to the east you got l’Amère à Boire, St. Bock, Cheval Blanc and a new brewpub call Saint Houblon, don’t know if they have there beer yet.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 21:05 Mon 2/9/2015

I’ve got all the good beer places marked off, especially those close to the festival and hotel. Benelux will probably be the first place I hit since it’s very close to the hotel and they’re open until 3am.

Wanna try to catch my buddy pepsican on the malt liquor raters list, though.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 03:21 Tue 2/10/2015

Hey sail, these high caliber malt liquor dumps are unfortunately completely ignored by beer snobs and thus not in the database. Rahman next to Dieu du Ciel, or Dépanneur As also just around the corner might have a few picks for you but I’m not sure.

Basically you are looking for any and all stores that look like this, the shadier the better :

mathieuc
beers 3997 º places 5 º 06:20 Tue 2/10/2015

Some of these beer may no longer existe, like the Black Label’s and Tremblay Xtreme.

Tremblay Xtreme is pretty new and available pretty much everywhere, regardless if it is a craft beer place or not. Loup Garou is long gone, though.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 09:24 Tue 2/10/2015

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Hey sail, these high caliber malt liquor dumps are unfortunately completely ignored by beer snobs and thus not in the database. Rahman next to Dieu du Ciel, or Dépanneur As also just around the corner might have a few picks for you but I’m not sure.

Basically you are looking for any and all stores that look like this, the shadier the better :

You’re the man!

pushkinwow
beers 3602 º places 174 º 20:08 Mon 2/16/2015

So how’d you enjoy it?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 21:03 Mon 2/16/2015

The festival itself was fun, though when we were there earlier in the day Friday it was kind of dead and honestly a bit underwhelming...though it was nice to be able to walk up to any of the producers and just get whatever we wanted with no wait. As the day went on and more people showed up, more stuff was going on it was a bit more fun.

I did enjoy Montreal as a city very much, particularly the excessive amount of food that we ate and all the booze that we drank. We didn’t get to do as much touristy or wintery stuff as I had originally planned. We sort of ended up spending more time indoors eating and drinking, largely because the better half just didn’t want to be outside. It was certainly cold, but I think in terms of being prepared for that with our clothing we were fine, it was maybe more of a mental thing. It was the coldest weather I’ve ever been in for any sort of length of time.The first day and change we were there, it seemed warmer (if you could call it that). A lot of people asked us what the hell we were doing leaving Southern California for Montreal in February.

Dieu du Ciel and Vices et Versa were probably my favorite beer places and definitely deserve their top ratings in the Montreal place listings. Isle de Garde was quite nice too, though I felt it resembled Mikkeller San Francisco a lot. Not that it was necessarily a bad thing. Cheval Blanc was a trip and a place I’d probably hang out at regularly if I lived in the area. I honestly didn’t read any of the place ratings ahead of time for there and was a little bit surprised when we walked in.

I would certainly come back to Montreal again, though maybe not in February next time.

Oh, and I could eat Romado’s everyday.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 21:20 Mon 2/16/2015

Originally posted by Quevillon
Originally posted by brokensail
I’ve heard the best place to get random malt liquor ticks in Quebec is to just go to crappy liquor stores.

I used the Travel Lists feature and it looks like I should be able to get these:

Bowes Special 7 Triple Dry
Brasseurs RJ Tremblay Xtreme
Carling Black Label Extra Old Stock Strong
Coors Altitude
Cyclone 7.2%
Cyclone Power 8.5%
Labatt Blue Dry 10.1%
Labatt Blue Dry 7.1%
Loup-Garou
Molson Black Ice
Molson Carling Black Label Big 10
Molson Carling Black Label Supreme
Molson Dry 7.5%
Molson Dry 8.5%
Molson Dry 10.1%

Any recommendations in the downtown area? Or maybe in some of the other areas I plan on visiting like the Old Port or out by Dieu du Ciel?

Not far from de Mondial is Bénélux (Downtown) and to the east you got l’Amère à Boire, St. Bock, Cheval Blanc and a new brewpub call Saint Houblon, don’t know if they have there beer yet.

I’d have to consult my wonderful notes from chugging malt liquor in the hotel room, but I think I found about 75% of those and a handful of others that I didn’t list.

I’m sure you’re all anxiously awaiting those ratings.

jercraigs
beers 14850 º places 1049 º 08:35 Tue 2/17/2015

Originally posted by brokensailIt was certainly cold, but I think in terms of being prepared for that with our clothing we were fine, it was maybe more of a mental thing. It was the coldest weather I’ve ever been in for any sort of length of time.The first day and change we were there, it seemed warmer (if you could call it that). A lot of people asked us what the hell we were doing leaving Southern California for Montreal in February.

It was -22 in Montreal and "only" -11 in Toronto. We opted to get a weekend pass for the Metro instead of walking as a result :)

I enjoyed the festival, we went Saturday and Sunday but the layout was not great for when it got busy as everyone crowded in front of the booths since there was not a ton of seating. Sunday was quieter and we scored a couch. Got some free samples when purchasing bottles on Sunday which was a nice plus.

Managed to try a number of things I really liked that I haven’t seen around before.