IPA Glass

Reads 9363 • Replies 59 • Started Friday, February 8, 2013 11:53:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 13:37 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by FlacoAlto
Glass is a relatively poor conductor of heat

You’ve done a great job of stomping on most of the nonsense that others have said in this thread, thank you!

I’m curious about the above, though. Perhaps we’ve got different perspectives, but I consider glass to be a good conductor - it’s got the same thermal conductivity as some thermal pastes, which are specifically designed to conduct heat. About the only thing it’s worse than would be metals.

FlacoAlto
beers 4461 º places 17 º 15:38 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by FatPhil
Originally posted by FlacoAlto
Glass is a relatively poor conductor of heat

I’m curious about the above, though. Perhaps we’ve got different perspectives, but I consider glass to be a good conductor - it’s got the same thermal conductivity as some thermal pastes, which are specifically designed to conduct heat. About the only thing it’s worse than would be metals.

I was thinking more in terms of time constants for the thermal problem at hand, and in comparing it to metals, as it is an easy thing for me to visualize. In the world of heat exchangers and conductors glass is just not something that would be a first choice (though in some extreme cased a glass based coating can be useful). What I meant by poor conductor was that it does take a finite, noticeable period of time for a glass to cool down and for it to equilibrate with the beer that has just been poured into it, and it keeps the beer colder longer than something like an aluminum can which is orders of magnitude more conductive.

Anyway, to your point, descriptive/qualitative items like "relatively" and "poor" are incredibly inexact, and can indeed cause confusion, but ultimately, in order to communicate, you can’t get around them in some way shape or form.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 16:30 Thu 3/21/2013

Well, I gave it a thorough testing last night with the same dry-hopped pale ale in all three glasses IPA, Spiegelau tulip, and shaker) side-by-side. I found the IPA glass to be the best for aroma, foam retention, mouthfeel, and the look is growing on me as well.

Flavor was very similar to the tulip but I like the way the IPA glass delivers the beer into the tongue; seems better for more quaffable beers. In comparison, the beer in the shaker glass did indeed warm up faster and lose carbonation faster, despite the nucleation and ridges of the IPA glass. After feeling the beer and the glass over some increments, it seems to me that the shaker just has so much mass to it that it takes a few minutes for the temp to equalize. The walls of the IPA (and tulip) glass get cold almost instantly upon pouring, and then the temperature stays more constant, versus the slow warming of the shaker glass.

The IPA glass gives a much more focused, concentrated hop aroma. All the nuances are easy to pick out every time you put your nose in. The tulip wasn’t too far removed, but lent the beer a rounder, softer aroma with less concentration. The shaker really fell apart here, with a vague aroma that took real effort to really dig into. It also showed oxidation after 15-20 minutes, which the IPA glass and tulip did not, probably due to a better retention of carbon dioxide in the head space t blanket the beer.

When the IPA glass got over half empty, the ridges at the base really came into play, knocking more aroma out with each sip. The smooth bowl of the tulip lacked this effect and had to be aggressively swirled to maintain aroma later on. The shaker was useless at this point and the beer was almost completely different than the other two.

So I guess I’m a believer. It’s just about the perfect size for a 12oz bottle, a good head, and room to get your nose in there. Feels better for drinking quaffable beers, versus the tulip which I think feels better for stronger, sipping beers. And it really is like an Aroma cannon. Now I’m interested to see what more quaffable Belgian styles like blond, dubbed, and saison present like in this glass. You can laugh at the appearance all you want, but I don’t think it looks half bad with a pale beer with a nice head in it.

AZBennett
beers 115 º 17:33 Thu 3/21/2013

The initial Riedel O wine glass that was featured in a side by side with the new "IPA" is a smaller version with slight differences in the ridges. As a wine drinker, glass shape has a metric F-ton to do with how your nose talks to your tongue and therefore interprets the taste of anything. Also as SamGamgee posted it also directs the flow of the said liquid to better utilize certain types of tastebuds more efficiently. So making a glass that enhances the "smell" of a beer, especially an IPA makes a lot of sense. I have one of the SN IPA glasses and quite like it, it does keep the beer colder for longer (but if you take 20 minutes to drink an IPA I think you are going to lose some flavor no matter what). It does feel a little dainty and I would hesitate to put it in a dishwasher. I quick rinse after using it and call it a day. It’s a great concept and one that borrows from hundreds of years of wine drinkers fine tuning glassware to fit a particular flavor/scent spectrum. I don’t think it is a marketing ploy, though it does mean I will have to get rid of some shaker glasses.

FlacoAlto
beers 4461 º places 17 º 20:27 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by SamGamgee
...side by side comparison...

thanks for the great feedback. While I would never need to compare it to a shaker pint, your comparison with the tulip definitely has me interested. One of these days I’ll likely pick one of these up and give it a whirl.

Alextricity
beers 509 º places 3 º 21:08 Thu 3/21/2013

I second the sex toy notion... I remember seeing this on BeerAdvocate awhile back and shaking my head. The "goofiest" glass I’ll use (and the one I use for most beers) is the Perfect Pint Samuel Adams glass. Works well enough for me. :)

dhunter151
beers 590 º places 11 º 22:56 Thu 3/21/2013

Very nice review. I'm sold.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

UDBeernut
beers 2883 º places 348 º 04:12 Fri 3/22/2013

dhunter151
beers 590 º places 11 º 19:58 Tue 3/26/2013

Just got mine from Sierra Nevada. Drinking a Sculpin from it. I gotta say I think it does make a difference. The taste is similar to a tulip but the aroma is more intense IMO.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone