RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

IPA Recipe Advice

read 885 times • 10 replies • posted 9/10/2012 2:54:32 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
Guyute_Pig 101:45
Iím brewing my first all grain IPA and was curious if anyone had any feedback:

5 gallons, around 75% efficiency. OG 1.076. Cali V yeast
8 lb Marris Otter
3 lb 2-row
2 lb Vienna
0.8 oz Crystal 10
0.8 oz Carapils

60 min - 1oz Centennial (all pellet except citra)
20 min - 0.75oz Centennial
10 min - 1 oz each Amarillo/Cascade
5 min - 0.25 oz Centennial, 1 oz Amarillo/Cascade, 1 oz Citra leaf

Dry Hop 12 days 1 oz cascade, 2 oz Citra leaf
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8411:508
Double the 60 minute addition, move the 10/20 minute additions up to five. Iíd probably use more late hops, but nothing about this beer would be bad.
9/10/2012 2:57:42 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
ekoerper 588:39
Iíd ax the 0.8oz Crystal 10, both because itís such a low quantity, and I just find APAs and IPAs to better without the crystal. Iím also not sure that the 0.8oz Carapils is going to do much, but itís not going to hurt anything either. Agreed with Joe on the hops, lots of late hops is always good.
9/10/2012 3:18:00 PM

premium
Much appreciated gents.
9/10/2012 3:40:10 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
8 lb Marris Otter
3 lb 2-row
2 lb Vienna
0.8 oz Crystal 10
0.8 oz Carapils

Though Iíd do it differently, the grainbill looks just fine.

Due to the fact that I like my hoppy beers to finish in the low teens and not have much residual sweetness, I usually just keep mine simple with base malt and maybe some oats with a couple pounds of white sugar.

OK . . . you have 5 oz. of hops for bitterness and aroma here.

For an IPA.

Maybe itís just me, but I donít think thatís gonna do the job.

I tend to go overboard on my flame out additions to make sure my beer tastes, well, hoppy. I would do at least a 6 oz. addition after you kill the heat. I do mine at 180F, but if you choose to add hops at this time, you can do yours whenever you want.

Though youíll probably be OK with this duration and amount of hops, Iíve had much more luck doing 2 one-week dry hops. Personally, Iíd double that amount.
9/10/2012 5:06:23 PM

premium
Originally posted by HornyDevil
8 lb Marris Otter
3 lb 2-row
2 lb Vienna
0.8 oz Crystal 10
0.8 oz Carapils

Though Iíd do it differently, the grainbill looks just fine.

Due to the fact that I like my hoppy beers to finish in the low teens and not have much residual sweetness, I usually just keep mine simple with base malt and maybe some oats with a couple pounds of white sugar.

OK . . . you have 5 oz. of hops for bitterness and aroma here.

For an IPA.

Maybe itís just me, but I donít think thatís gonna do the job.

I tend to go overboard on my flame out additions to make sure my beer tastes, well, hoppy. I would do at least a 6 oz. addition after you kill the heat. I do mine at 180F, but if you choose to add hops at this time, you can do yours whenever you want.

Though youíll probably be OK with this duration and amount of hops, Iíve had much more luck doing 2 one-week dry hops. Personally, Iíd double that amount.

I appreciate the candid advice, as you can find all kinds of variety in recipes online for hop bills. With the hops I have, obviously looking for a fruity ipa. Iíll go hit the home brew store up for some additional hops for knock out and dry hopping.
9/10/2012 5:47:47 PM

Nate23
I havenít posted in ages, so my advice might seem like it comes out of the blue. Use it or discard it as you see fit.

Since this is your first IPA, try it out with the amount of hops you have now before you start spending a lot of money on double the amount. Unless youíre buying by the pound online, hops arenít cheap. Hereís why I say this: if you double your amounts, of course itís going to taste awesome, if you love hops. If youíve never had a homebrew IPA, it will blow you away. Youíll want to reproduce that experience every time ... and youíll never know if fewer hops would have been good enough.

Trust me, with the hops you have now--in a 5 gallon batch--fresh homebrewed IPA is going to taste hoppier than just about anything else you can buy in the store, except for fresh IIPAs. If youíre like me, youíll probably drink it all up at a "younger age" (brew date) than most stuff you could buy off the shelf. Itís unfiltered (I assume). Itís probably stored better than most places ... not on the shelf, room temp, in the light (I use a beer fridge in the garage.)

I use just about the same amount of hops for my IPAs, but I do distribute them all at 60 min and 5 min or flameout. And sometimes a FWH. I donít usually dry hop with more than 3 ounces. And itís hoppier than anything I can buy.

More will be better, but it will also cost more. Save the massive hop additions for something special like a IIPA. You can always add more, but at least this way youíll know how much of a difference doubling the hops makes if you try it this way first.
9/11/2012 5:27:52 PM

temporrari 381:12
I like a simple grain bill, pale malt, 8oz Munich 10, Carapils, and I do add 2oz of Crystal 120 for color. I use around 8.5-10 oz of hops for my IPAs. Thatís with a 3oz dry hop, which you have there. Citra is potent, and 2 oz plus the Cascade will be enough. I find dry hopping gives the most aroma, and it does give a lot of flavor. You definitely want to use more at 60 than 1 oz Centennial. I use 1.5 oz of Nugget or Columbus. Then I usually add 1 oz of whatever Iím using at 15, 10, and 5. Then 2 oz steeped at flame-out. I am pretty happy with my IPAs.
9/11/2012 5:39:04 PM

robrules 1

You need a couple of pounds of sugar to get a 1.076 OG beer to finish in the low teens? You using some inferior english ale yeast or something? lol.
9/13/2012 7:41:50 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by robrules

You need a couple of pounds of sugar to get a 1.076 OG beer to finish in the low teens? You using some inferior english ale yeast or something? lol.

For my DIPAs. Sure.

Also, suck it.
9/13/2012 8:04:29 AM

premium
admin
Danko
I agree that using sugars in a DIPA helps with balancing the beer so that the body donít get too rich, itís got nothing to do with achieving a higher OG. I also prefer finishing an FG at low teens.

Say, if sugar sucks in an IPA/DIPA then Pliny sucks... And it doesnít. :)
9/13/2012 8:20:35 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add