IPA Suggestions

read 1428 times • 20 replies •

Thread Frozen

yobdoog
beers 1888 º places 94 º 11:02 Fri 1/4/2013

Iíve done this several times with a few different hops. Iíve done it with only citra and once replaced the Amarillo with Sorachi Ace. Would love to try it with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy too, maybe next time. Each time awesome though for extract brew!

6# Wheat DME
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60
2 oz. each Amarillo and Citra @ 0
2 oz. each Amarillo and Citra (Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056

bitbucket
beers 2164 º places 63 º 21:17 Fri 1/4/2013

Some of my favorites have been single hop. I got some Cascade pellets that were amazing a couple of years ago, and that IPA turned out great. Gonna see what happens with Super Galena.

Naven
beers 1000 º places 106 º 21:50 Fri 1/4/2013

Originally posted by yobdoog
Iíve done this several times with a few different hops. Iíve done it with only citra and once replaced the Amarillo with Sorachi Ace. Would love to try it with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy too, maybe next time. Each time awesome though for extract brew!

6# Wheat DME
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60

Wyeast 1056

I like this, although i would triple the hops at flame out and DH

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 07:05 Sat 1/19/2013

Originally posted by Naven

6# Wheat DME
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60

Wyeast 1056

For me, that would amount to over $1 a liter in hops. Still having a hard time imagining how much hops that is to muck out.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:07 Sat 1/19/2013

6# Wheat DME
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60

Wyeast 1056

12 oz. of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch? Jesus. I thought I used a lot of hops.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:10 Sat 1/19/2013

This is a recipe that I have always wanted to brew again, but just havenít found the time.

1 lb. Cystal 20l for steeping
7 lbs. Pils LME

1.5 oz. Columbus 90 min.
1 oz. Columbus 30 min.
1 oz. Columbus 15 min.
2 oz. Columbus and Nelson Sauvin at flameout

2 oz. Simcoe and one oz. each Nelson and Citra dry hop.
1 packet of rehydrate US-05 fermented at 68.

HornyDevil
13:29 Sat 1/19/2013

Originally posted by erway

6# Wheat DME
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60

Wyeast 1056

12 oz. of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch? Jesus. I thought I used a lot of hops.

Yeah, thatís a bit much for any beer. 6 oz. of dry hops is about the sweet spot for me, though 25 oz. of hops total wouldnít be out of the question for a DIPA.

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 04:02 Sun 1/20/2013

For a 5.5 gallon end-yield batch my half-IPA (1.035 OG), I use whole-leaf Chinook, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, et. al., to the tune of
1.1 oz 60 min
1.8 oz 15 min
1.4 oz 5 min
1.4 oz at 80įC whilst chilling

If I were to double all that for a ~7% ABV IPA, I guess it would amount to what you kids call a "fuck-ton": 11.4 oz.

temporrari
beers 395 º places 12 º 07:01 Sun 1/20/2013

Originally posted by Erlangernick
For a 5.5 gallon end-yield batch my half-IPA (1.035 OG), I use whole-leaf Chinook, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, et. al., to the tune of
1.1 oz 60 min
1.8 oz 15 min
1.4 oz 5 min

If I were to double all that for a ~7% ABV IPA, I guess it would amount to what you kids call a "fuck-ton": 11.4 oz.

Eh, not really. Maybe for a 3.5% beer. But I use around 12 oz for my 7% IPAs. My next IPA looks like this. The late additions and dry hops will be an equal blend of Chinook, Simcoe, and Citra.

2 oz Nugget @ 60
3 oz @ 5
3 oz @ FO
4 oz for Dry Hop

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 07:35 Sun 1/20/2013

Originally posted by temporrari
Originally posted by Erlangernick
1.1 oz 60 min
1.8 oz 15 min
1.4 oz 5 min

Eh, not really. Maybe for a 3.5% beer. But I use around 12 oz for my 7% IPAs. My next IPA looks like this. The late additions and dry hops will be an equal blend of Chinook, Simcoe, and Citra.

2 oz Nugget @ 60
3 oz @ 5
3 oz @ FO
4 oz for Dry Hop

I call nearly 3/4# of hops in a 5-6 gallon batch of IPA a "fuck-ton". YMMV. But yeah, 7% is a lot of alcohol and malt in need of being balanced out.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer