RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

ireland

read 689 times • 15 replies • posted 7/10/2012 6:39:54 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
pellegjr 395:16
The wife and I will be going on a trip to Ireland in few weeks, I’ve never been. We’ll be spending 3 days in Dublin, 2 in Cork, and 2 in Kerry. Any suggestions for pubs, bottle shops, restaurants, etc. (or anything else non-brew-related for that matter)? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
IrishBoy 3824:106
BeerMail Garthicus who is from Dublin although he is now part of HogTownHarry’s group in Toronto. He can probably give you some pointers. The one place I will check out when I ever get to Dublin is Celebration who brews a bunch of great stouts.
7/10/2012 6:54:31 PM

Private message send the author a private message

miketd 125
I have heard that Ireland’s beer scene has improved the last few years, but there wasn’t much when I was there in 2008. The Guinness tour kinda sucked.

Dublin was an interesting place, and I took a great day trip out to Here and Here.

Have fun.
7/10/2012 7:13:27 PM

DA 1
Like Mike above said, when I was there the beer scene was pretty tame. We did the Porterhouse in Dublin and hit a few of the higher rated places on here at the time, all were very so-so. Beautiful country though.

I did have fun getting fish and chips at a place called Leo Bourdocks or something, it was right around the corner from the Porterhouse.

The best beers I had by far were in Belfast.
7/10/2012 7:55:33 PM

Gazza 726:163
Have a look at my map

http://tinyurl.com/bnok8fs

It’s pretty much up-to-date, some great places there now.
7/11/2012 5:42:07 AM

traPISSED 102:
Post on the Beoir.com website and they will sort you out. There are even a few Americans on there that live in Dublin. Beer scene is kicking off down there. You can even get 3F Lente
7/11/2012 5:45:21 AM

premium
chriso 7347:368
John Duffy is yer man for info on Dublin & Ireland in general.
http://thebeernut.blogspot.co.uk/

I think he’s a leading light in Beoir too.
7/11/2012 5:54:54 AM

premium
theRunningBoar
Just read Dubliners (James Joyce) while you there.
7/11/2012 6:04:12 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 12398:649
beoir.org has all the info, I think. Cork is a great food town, so look some things up to eat while you’re there.

Don’t miss the West Kerry Brewery, just a little bit past Dingle. Tiny little place, key your eyes peeled.
7/11/2012 9:24:32 AM

premium
jercraigs 7790:314
It was a couple of years ago but we enjoyed The Abbot’s Ale House in Cork.

In Dublin
Porterhouse was decent, VERY busy in the evenings on a weekend. I preferred the quieter times earlier in the day/evening personally.

Bull and Castle was pretty decent as well, we had a good dinner there.

Book of Kells is highly overrated. If that sort of thing interests you the Chester Beatty Library ( http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g186605-d214878-Reviews-Chester_Beatty_Library-Dublin_County_Dublin.html) is far better bang for buck. Walk past Dublin castle on the way.

We packed a nice cheese/bread/meat picnic from a great cheese shop whose name escapes me and ate it on a bench in front of the labyrinth in the courtyard by Chester Beatty

The beer was a bit dull but I enjoyed the atmosphere of the upper floors at Messrs Maguire.

Walking the grounds at Trinity College was enjoyable.

Christ Church Cathedral was a cool walk past for us, we timed it poorly and didn’t make it inside.

City hall has some cool art and architecture inside.

Have fun!
7/11/2012 12:46:06 PM

KimJohansen 10349:10
Also in Cork is the Franciscan Well brew pub. http://www.franciscanwellbrewery.com/
7/11/2012 1:06:24 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers