Is New York’s Andy Brennan of Aaron Burr really the Shaun E Hill of cider?

Reads 3743 • Replies 33 • Started Monday, September 22, 2014 10:33:59 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 16:54 Mon 9/22/2014

Nobody will ever be the Shaun E. Hill of anything besides Shaun E. Hill

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 17:11 Mon 9/22/2014

I paid 3€ for most of the excellent French ciders I had.
Good for them if they find people willing to pay that money. Not me.
There will always be somebody stupid enough, and rich enough...

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 17:16 Mon 9/22/2014

Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
Nobody will ever be the Shaun E. Hill of anything besides Shaun E. Hill

This dude is the shaun e hill of cates

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 17:17 Mon 9/22/2014

If he is, it is helpful to know I can ignore his over hyped, good not great cider.

bytemesis
beers 15308 º places 1595 º 23:21 Mon 9/22/2014

your fellow ratebeerians do not seem to be enamored. Maybe they don’t yet know that its supposed to be awesome?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 23:50 Mon 9/22/2014

Does people spending lots of money on this when they could get something better from France or England for a handful of coins signal the rise of the CiderBro?

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 01:06 Tue 9/23/2014

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Does people spending lots of money on this when they could get something better from France or England for a handful of coins signal the rise of the CiderBro?

Unfortunately on this side of the pond some people think that if it’s expensive it’s good.
And that if it’s good and too expensive they should still pay for that...

Tonight I cooked a traditional dish from the Alps (pizzoccheri) with a cheese that costs 10€/kg, the cheese is from grassfed cows, it’s simple and has a nice milk-cream taste, and our guests just died for the dish. You don’t need an award-winning (I hate the word) 49.99$/lb cheese...

MaggieJia
01:30 Tue 9/23/2014

wow,Ireally want to have a try.I have never tasted cider before.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 01:39 Tue 9/23/2014

Originally posted by fiulijn
Originally posted by GarethYoung

Unfortunately on this side of the pond some people think that if it’s expensive it’s good.
And that if it’s good and too expensive they should still pay for that...

Tonight I cooked a traditional dish from the Alps (pizzoccheri) with a cheese that costs 10€/kg, the cheese is from grassfed cows, it’s simple and has a nice milk-cream taste, and our guests just died for the dish. You don’t need an award-winning (I hate the word) 49.99$/lb cheese...

In fairness, it doesn’t seem like a lot of good, European cider makes it over to the US, so I was joking, mostly. But I do think the tendency towards very high prices, driven by hype and, often artificial, scarcity has been sad. Lots of people point to the wine world to justify this sort of thing, and I think that’s sad too. We don’t need to copy wine culture to take beer seriously, and I think the exhorbitant prices of lots of wines, and the presumption that more expensive is better, are two of the very bad things about the wine world (though, actually, the higher prices in wines are often easier to justify than in beer because of the way they’re produced).

I think good food and drink should be available to as many people as possible, and I’m very grateful that I can walk down to my local pub and spend £3.50 to get pints of cask bitter that, when the stars align, are some of the best drinks in the world. Making tiny batches of underattenuated imperial stout out of the same, universally-available ingredients that every other beer is made from, and charging £20 a bottle, just because you can, sucks ass, and I won’t buy it on principle, apart from the fact that it’s just not ask good as so many other beers that are available for a few quid.

I hope the beer world grows out of this phase (and I hope the cider world doesn’t start it), and just because the wine world does it doesn’t mean its something to which we should aspire.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 01:42 Tue 9/23/2014

I normally apply the Chimay White test to this sort of thing. If I see some expensive bottle from a flash brewery, I think ’Is there any likelihood that this will be better than Chimay White?’ If not, I scroll past.