Iso: Wyeast 3725, Ft: KP

Reads 1746 • Replies 13 • Started Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:59:45 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 22:05 Sun 1/11/2015

If you send me a mixed sample, I could at least isolate a few
Different things for you to play with

spacecoyote
22:32 Sun 1/11/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
If you send me a mixed sample, I could at least isolate a few
Different things for you to play with

Actually, I no longer have any of my beer made with 3725, but I have relatively young bottles of Pissenlit and Été.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:18 Mon 1/12/2015

Originally posted by spacecoyote
Originally posted by matt7215
Originally posted by spacecoyote
I’m thinking of just popping a couple Fantôme and growing up a starter from the dregs. Thoughts?

the wyeast 3725 was reportedly the clean sac fantome strain, what you will get from the dregs will be mixed, so not the same as 3725

FWIW i brewed a few beers with 3725 and didnt find it overly interesting by itself

what type of profile were you hoping for?

The profile specifically provided by 3725 . I’ve used it before, and I liked it a lot, but the last time I used it I pitched Fantôme dregs for bottle priming, so I have no clean sample.

And, in all honesty, I really didn’t want to grow a starter from dregs, cuz I don’t want to prop up any of the non-sacc critters.

This yeast really works well for a particular saison grist I use, it exhibits perfect attenuation and it works great at 28ºC (82ºF). I think the trick is, to make a saison a’la Fantôme with this yeast, the brewer should make a moderately high gravity saison in addition to using some crazy spices and adjuncts. Maybe? like I said, I’ve had much success with this yeast.

My LHBS carries White Labs, and all the usual dry strains. For this brew I’ll likely use one of the WLP wit or saison strains. None will be the same, but all will make a good saison.

If you want to maximise the amount of sacch you get from the Fantome dregs, you could hop the medium fairly heavily to suppress the lacto strain (it’s pretty hop resistant, so I’d hop it quite heavily).

Suppressing the brett is harder, obvs. I’d try culturing the yeast in simple sugars (probs just sucrose). The sacch should take-off first and munch through the sugars leaving not much left for the brett. I’d then step the culture up as soon as it’s reaching the end of high krausen, to encourage the sacch to multiply again before brett starts to get a look-in.

So a well-hopped sucrose solution with plenty of yeast nutrient added would be my advice to get mostly saccharomyces. You’ll probably still get some brett in the culture, but there’s not much you can do about that.

Alternatively, send it to Clevar for isolation of good things. They have a great lacto strain and some lovely brett strains in there, so it would be cool to have them isolated.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer