RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Itís time to build a Kegerator & Taps (Planning & Advice?)

read 1182 times • 7 replies • posted 2/15/2012 9:22:22 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
AdamJackson 2802:200
Hey RB Homebrew Group!

Iíd like to have a 2 pony-keg kegerator in my house but with taps that arenít on the unit but instead in the next room.

Exhibit A - My home liquor bar.

That spot between them is where Iíd like to put taps as the best position. ITís not wide enough to put a kegerator there and there are no power plugs. However, my bedroom is behind that wall with an unused closet.

Exhibit B - My kitchen with bedroom + closet right behind.

Distance is about 4 feet to run hoses through the walls. If that is too far, I could always put the kegerator in my pantry with taps directly across from the liquor cabinet on the facing wall.

Exhibit C - View of my closet with open wall to have taps coming out of it and a stand that will hold glasses and catch beer overflow (no drainage so Iíll have to manually take out the tray and drain)

---- ---- ---- -

Iím not really sure which is best. Longer hose and a lot more drilling or just putting the fridge in my pantry with hoses right on the other side.

Also, I want to build my own so I have no idea where to visit to buy parts and what parts I need.

Thanks for the help! Photos of your setup would be greatly appreciated.
Private message Send the author a private message

Phischy 1:57
By pony kegs you mean 1/4 barrels? Or do you mean sixtels? Huge difference in size of kegs.
2/15/2012 9:32:42 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Whatever is easier. Iíd like to be able to fit 2 beers from a beer store that sells kegs OR 2 homebrews or 1 homebrew, 1 from a store.
2/15/2012 9:36:08 AM

SphinxTX 2876:41
One problem with what you are wanting to do......how do you plan to keep the beer cold in the lines? Thats 4 feet of warm beer you will be pouring.
2/15/2012 10:23:31 AM

premium
Originally posted by Swalden28
One problem with what you are wanting to do......how do you plan to keep the beer cold in the lines? Thats 4 feet of warm beer you will be pouring.

Ah, youíre right! Sigh thatís a good point. So maybe the pantry where the line is about 1 foot or even less is better. Pour half a beer and you get cold after that first half. Yeah, youíre right.

2/15/2012 10:25:19 AM

premium
OldStyleCubFan 77:15
I had a setup with about a 3 foot run. Do the math, the amount of íwarm beerí is very small. Assuming 3/16 beer line, I think its 1/6 of an oz per foot. So even a 6 ft run is only 1oz of warm beer into say a pint. You wont notice it.

I was always worried about mold in the unrefrigerated lines. You probably want to make sure you cleaning well and swapping out lines.

Obviously, use black line vs. clear to minimize mold and light struck issues.
2/15/2012 10:41:08 AM

premium
Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan
I had a setup with about a 3 foot run. Do the math, the amount of íwarm beerí is very small. Assuming 3/16 beer line, I think its 1/6 of an oz per foot. So even a 6 ft run is only 1oz of warm beer into say a pint. You wont notice it.

I was always worried about mold in the unrefrigerated lines. You probably want to make sure you cleaning well and swapping out lines.

Obviously, use black line vs. clear to minimize mold and light struck issues.

So black lines + drinking a beer once every 2 hours would be ideal. I think thatís doable
2/15/2012 11:38:22 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
It doesnít have to be too difficult. A buddy of mine just built a conduit out of 2" PVC, ran the lines through and filled with expanding foam for insulation. Other options are to have a fan pull cold air through the conduit. I donít really think black lines are necessary as I wouldnít leave the lines out in the open. With clear lines, you can monitor the state of the lines more easily as well and see if youíre getting any nastiness in the tubes.
2/15/2012 11:49:37 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add