RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

japanese craft beer in japanese mainstream shops?

read 575 times • 8 replies • posted 9/14/2012 11:14:08 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
kerenmk 2287:47
Hello,
The parents-in-law are flying with an organized tour to Japan. We asked them for bottles and they agreed to bring us 1 or 2, if, and only if, they bump into them. That means that they wonít go out of their way to fetch us beer. Does anyone have any information about J-beer in depít stores or main-street supermarkets?

Thanks.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
SHIG 3568:204
Hope you get some replies. Iím currently in Japan for business, but hope to find some ticks from local stores as well. Not in a good part of Japan as far as the places ratings go....Shawn
9/14/2012 11:57:35 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
GT2 8380:586
Ask KyotoLefty
9/15/2012 12:04:13 AM

left_bank 69:47
if you mention a city,i can give you a better answer.until then,tell your parents in law to go to the bottom floor of any major department store.
9/15/2012 7:37:32 AM

premium
TimE 3145:248
9/15/2012 8:18:06 AM

premium
Thanks. TimE - thatís the one depít store I listed for them. left_bank, theyíll be in Tokyo for sure, also in Kyoto but Iím quite uncertain about the rest of the itinerary.
9/15/2012 8:24:55 AM

premium
shoulderbroken 1991:181
Isetan in Shinjuku too, but I think Tim has mentioned the best one. in regular shops you might get ticks given the astonishing amounts of pale lagers that the same few companies make here.
9/16/2012 9:04:37 AM

premium
KyotoLefty 6324:458
In Kyoto, the Isetan in Kyoto station is by far the most convenient for regular travelers, with about 20 craft beers:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=11024

Yamaoka is the best in the country, but they might not be going out that way:
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/yamaoka-sake-shop-kyoto/10865/
In Tokyo, Shibuya Tokyu is the best, but there are also several craft beers in the Daimaru Dept. in Tokyo station.
As Left Bank says, you can usually get some good stuff in any department store food section in the basement. You should give them an idea of what to look for, since I donít think you want Asahi Super Dry or, even worse, 3rd category beer! Yo-Ho brewing, Coedo, Echigo, and Ginga Kogen all come in cans and are all right. If they can find Baird, Nest, Sankt Gallen, Oh! La! Ho!, they are even better. Good luck.
9/16/2012 5:25:23 PM

premium
Thanks for the help :) Listed them some 7 different beers that appear in the 1001 beers book that I follow and warned them not to get us sapporo/ kirin/ asahi/Ybisu - all available here in Israel. Since theyíll be flying through Korea, Iíll ask them to fetch me something from the airport over there, if only for the country-ticking purpose :)

Here are the beers I listed: Hitachino Nest Beer White Ale, Echigo 90 Days Stout, Baird Rising Sun, S.Gallen Yokohama, Hitachino Nest XH, Shiga Kogen, Fujikora Weizen and Baird Angry Boy.
9/16/2012 11:37:01 PM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search