RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Just a question

read 915 times • 3 replies • posted 2/29/2012 6:00:24 AM

Thread Frozen

BelgBeerGeek 1297:33
Maybe i know the answer allready .
But as far as what it’s called in english i have no idea...

What’s a Client Brewer ?
Someone can explain ?

Thx
BBG
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
SaintMatty 4656:209
The likes of Mikkeller, Stillwater and Beer Here are client brewers. They don’t actually own their own brewery, and as a result brew at various different breweries, often in many different countries.

They are also sometimes referred to as gypsy or cuckoo brewers.
2/29/2012 6:05:51 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Leighton 9830:559
You may also be talking about a ’contract brewer’, which isn’t exactly the same thing as a ’gypsy brewer’. A contract brewer is a brewery (often a fairly large one) where a different brewer makes his/her beers, either because they don’t have their own kit or because they don’t have the capacity at their own facility. The F.X. Matt Brewery in Utica, NY is a good example. A number of breweries have their beers brewed at F.X. Matt, such as Brooklyn Brewery and Haffenreffer.

For some beers on RB it is clearly noted the beer is contract brewed (for others it isn’t). Pretty Things, for example, is made at Buzzards Bay. See here: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pretty-things-american-darling/107013/

I hope this information helps.
2/29/2012 6:24:40 AM

NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Leighton
You may also be talking about a ’contract brewer’, which isn’t exactly the same thing as a ’gypsy brewer’. A contract brewer is a brewery (often a fairly large one) where a different brewer makes his/her beers, either because they don’t have their own kit or because they don’t have the capacity at their own facility. The F.X. Matt Brewery in Utica, NY is a good example. A number of breweries have their beers brewed at F.X. Matt, such as Brooklyn Brewery and Haffenreffer.

For some beers on RB it is clearly noted the beer is contract brewed (for others it isn’t). Pretty Things, for example, is made at Buzzards Bay. See here: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pretty-things-american-darling/107013/

I hope this information helps.

Technically, I think the OP is referencing an Alternate Proprietorship arrangement. With Mikkeller, they would be the client/tenant brewery and, for instance, de Proefbrouwerij would be the host brewery.
2/29/2012 7:12:41 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search