RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Just got my BCJP competition results back

read 663 times • 9 replies • posted 2/4/2013 7:42:13 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
keanex 1379:52
I brewed a spiced Belgian brown ale for a Winter warmer contest and received a 30 from a BCJP apprentice who is a certified Cicerone, 34 from a recognized BCJP professional brewer (it said 38 but was changed), 34 from a certified BCJP and 32 from an apprentice BCJP.

I have to say, Iím very happy with the results from my first ever recipe and the first one I entered. A lot of the points missed were due to banana esters on the nose (too high fermentation) and not enough spice, which I went for subtle flavors instead of overspiced in your face stuff. I canít wait to tweak the recipe and push for a 40 next time!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Phil 176:27
Congrats!
2/5/2013 3:11:36 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JulienHuxley 2854:198
Sounds very cool. Iím not familiar with the bjcp though, how does the scoring work? Max/min scores and such?
2/5/2013 9:27:52 AM

kujo9 1093:32
Just a note... Work on getting the banana esters down with ferm temps before tweaking your spices. The lowered esters will make the spices more pronounced so take it one step at a time! The question I want the answer to is how the heck did 4 people judge your beer? Usually youíre lucky to get two...

Nice work!
2/5/2013 9:35:00 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by kujo9
Just a note... Work on getting the banana esters down with ferm temps before tweaking your spices. The lowered esters will make the spices more pronounced so take it one step at a time! The question I want the answer to is how the heck did 4 people judge your beer? Usually youíre lucky to get two...

Nice work!

2 apprentice brewers and two that have passed the exam is my guess. Probably a glut of judges.
2/5/2013 12:27:23 PM

premium
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Sounds very cool. Iím not familiar with the bjcp though, how does the scoring work? Max/min scores and such?

The BJCP judges on a 50 point scale. Into the 40s is pretty primo beer. Mid 30s is a good beer with some minor flaws. In the 20s is generally something with one major issue (either style or process related) and below 20 is generally has a lot of problems, usually infections or really poor fermentation/sanitation or missing the style by a lot. One thing I will say is that judging has gotten a lot better over the last couple of years, in my opinion. The new system of certification has really helped to refocus on the tasting of the beers rather than just filling out arbitrary scoresheets. Out of curiosity, how fully were your scoresheets filled out? Which competition was it? Iím really interested because Iím also a judge (will have the experience I need to promote to Master in June) and like to get feedback on this sort of thing as Iím looking at working my way into program even more.
2/5/2013 12:31:50 PM

premium
1-50, with the 30ís being listed as "very good" with minor flaws to style.

Nice work!
Iím in a huge homebrew group that runs contests nearly every month. There are a few BCJP certified judges and they tend to do the judging for the groups contests.

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Out of curiosity, how fully were your scoresheets filled out? Which competition was it? Iím really interested because Iím also a judge (will have the experience I need to promote to Master in June) and like to get feedback on this sort of thing as Iím looking at working my way into program even more.
This is the scoresheet used. Everything was filled out with comments on each section. The contest was for my local homebrew group called Barley Legal Homebrew, we are the largest, I believe in New Jersey, and perhaps one of the larger ones in the country, over 150 paid members. If youíd like I could scan the sheets and send them to you once I get my printer situation set up.
2/5/2013 1:44:20 PM

premium
Originally posted by keanex
1-50, with the 30ís being listed as "very good" with minor flaws to style.

Nice work!
Iím in a huge homebrew group that runs contests nearly every month. There are a few BCJP certified judges and they tend to do the judging for the groups contests.

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Out of curiosity, how fully were your scoresheets filled out? Which competition was it? Iím really interested because Iím also a judge (will have the experience I need to promote to Master in June) and like to get feedback on this sort of thing as Iím looking at working my way into program even more.
This is the scoresheet used. Everything was filled out with comments on each section. The contest was for my local homebrew group called Barley Legal Homebrew, we are the largest, I believe in New Jersey, and perhaps one of the larger ones in the country, over 150 paid members. If youíd like I could scan the sheets and send them to you once I get my printer situation set up.

I was asking more how much they filled their scoresheets. I try and fill up all of the lines on the aroma, taste & overall. There is less info to give re: appearance and mouthfeel, for the most part. would be interested in seeing them, though.
2/5/2013 2:17:27 PM

premium
They were adequately filled out, it varied from judge to judge, but I think the sheets were filled out fully enough for me to see where they want me to go if I were to re-create this and re-submit this.
2/5/2013 3:01:52 PM

premium
JulienHuxley 2854:198
Thanks for the info. Congrats ;)
2/5/2013 4:03:38 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add