Just when I thought Crooked Stave could do no wrong...

Reads 642 • Replies 10 • Started Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:33:42 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

theothermatt
beers 286 º places 44 º 21:33 Wed 11/6/2013

They pull out this lottery shit...

Do they not care about anyone local? Do we not come back time and time again for $10 pours?

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 22:47 Wed 11/6/2013

Well, since anyone in the world could have tried to get in line for a membership otherwise it really isn’t a bad idea.

My beef is the increased costs. Other than keeping my membership I’m probably going back to bourbon and whiskey. It’s becoming a better deal than beer. The days of reasonably priced scotch are long gone, which sparked craft beer for me. Shit, I can drink super cheap on my long time Marg recipe if I want.

Beer is starting (already is) getting ridiculous in cost vs. other poisons. I can even get a decent bottle of wine for $10-15 all day long without waiting in line anywhere LOL.

Rant over

theothermatt
beers 286 º places 44 º 22:53 Wed 11/6/2013

I have more of an issue with that I want to be a Reserve Society member... the $350 is fine to me. I want to be able to come to the brewery and buy the bottles that I want. I support them enough already to make it worth it to me. Why do they need to open it to every Tom, Dick, and Harry than can get themselves a proxy? What happened to supporting your local base?

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 23:01 Wed 11/6/2013

You can buy online each quarter but of course you need to get the membership first.

I hear you but it seems screwing over the local guy is the trend. Just look at New Belgium for example; they charge $16-18 for La Folie and Le Terrior but I can buy the shit online for $11! They can kiss my ass, plus I don’t care for most of their beer anyhow.

Join the lottery and pray you get picked.

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 12:19 Thu 11/7/2013

They’re going to make their money, regardless of how you feel about their decisions, so they don’t really have any incentive to give local people preference. This doesn’t surprise me, nor does it bother me, as this seems to be the trend in the area of the beer scene where Crooked Stave has successfully created a niche for themselves. If it perturbs you that much, don’t line up for "10 dollar pours" anymore. I’ve given up on buying their products myself, but not for the same reasons. I just think the product is overpriced and inconsistent and I can’t justify 8-10 dollar a glass crap shoots anymore. Like you, however, I am likely in the minority in thinking that.

theothermatt
beers 286 º places 44 º 15:51 Thu 11/7/2013

I think their regular options are all exceptional... Vielle is one of the best session beers out there. I’m honestly more interested in the 15% off in the taproom and any events than the bottles. It really doesn’t hurt them if they sell to someone in New York, they just won’t take advantage of those opportunities.

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 16:19 Thu 11/7/2013

Originally posted by TooManyBeers
Beer is starting (already is) getting ridiculous in cost vs. other poisons. I can even get a decent bottle of wine for $10-15 all day long without waiting in line anywhere LOL.

Rant over

You can still get plenty of great beer at reasonable prices, as long as you steer clear of "boutique" beers and 98% of bombers.

aplusbreaks
beers 330 º places 1 º 16:42 Thu 11/7/2013

Originally posted by theothermatt
I think their regular options are all exceptional... Vielle is one of the best session beers out there. I’m honestly more interested in the 15% off in the taproom and any events than the bottles. It really doesn’t hurt them if they sell to someone in New York, they just won’t take advantage of those opportunities.

A $6/12oz session beer?

theothermatt
beers 286 º places 44 º 17:34 Thu 11/7/2013

Originally posted by aplusbreaks
Originally posted by theothermatt

A $6/12oz session beer?

I consider session to be based on style and ABV, not really in reference to the cost. But yes, it can get expensive.

NachlamSie
beers 4475 º places 1027 º 10:27 Sat 11/9/2013

Originally posted by notalush

Rant over

You can still get plenty of great beer at reasonable prices, as long as you steer clear of "boutique" beers and 98% of bombers.

Last week I picked up six packs of Boulevard Single Wide and 80 Acre for $6.49 each. I count that as affordable.

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 17:10 Sat 11/9/2013

Originally posted by NachlamSie
Originally posted by notalush

Rant over

Last week I picked up six packs of Boulevard Single Wide and 80 Acre for $6.49 each. I count that as affordable.

Hell yes. And both are solid beers.