Keeping the beer community safe

Reads 3396 • Replies 37 • Started Monday, March 31, 2014 11:20:20 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Rintrah
11:20 Mon 3/31/2014

It is critical that we all do our part to keep every person safe during the many upcoming beer festivals, including keeping an eye open for persons slipping intoxicants (e.g., date rape drugs) into unattended beer tasting glasses.

As more and more victims come forward after beer tasting events, the beer community must remain vigilant in protecting itself. Unattended sample glasses and sharing beer are prime ways that people fall victim.

Let’s keep and eye on those around us, and be sure to report to the police and event planners when you or a person you know has been effected.

It is normal to feel "woozy" after a beer tasting event; however, signs of abuse, blackouts for 4+ hours, and crippling hangovers are sure signs. Please educate yourself and others: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/date-rape-drugs.pdf

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:36 Mon 3/31/2014

Always a good precaution, but are their really confirmed cases of women being raped after a beer festival? That would be news to me.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:40 Mon 3/31/2014

While safety is a concern for all of us, I wonder what events have prompted this level of awareness? I am fairly well connected to craft beer related news and events and have not heard a single report of this type of activity.

Is there a reporting record or tally that is available for public viewing?

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 11:41 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by GT2
Always a good precaution, but are their really confirmed cases of women being raped after a beer festival? That would be news to me.

Who said anything about women. Oh and I’m ISO roommate for RBSG.

Rintrah
11:51 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by GT2

Perhaps you should also ask if the women were wearing revealing clothes, or perhaps if they were "asking for it." Really, you ask about "confirmed cases"? Wow!

b3shine
beers 12179 º places 372 º 11:55 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by Rintrah
Perhaps you should also ask if the women were wearing revealing clothes, or perhaps if they were "asking for it." Really, you ask about "confirmed cases"? Wow!
Originally posted by GT2

He’s asking if there are any confirmed cases of this happening because he hasn’t heard of any - and neither have I. It has nothing to do with the direction you chose to take his comments.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40415 º places 1239 º 11:58 Mon 3/31/2014

This sounds like a night out at a.n.other shit bar/pick up joint, that’s why folks are asking about cases at beer festivals !!! wow !

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 12:02 Mon 3/31/2014

So Rintrah, I see you’re new here-- welcome!

Not much info about yourself in that newly created profile.
This is an excellent community with lots of interaction and information about the ever-growing craft beer scene!

So where are you from?
Been interested in craft beer for a long while, or just new to the scene?
What are your favourite beer styles?
What festival(s) are you planning on attending?
Are you interested in beer trading?
Do you homebrew?

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 12:04 Mon 3/31/2014

Well...

Were they?

Rintrah
12:05 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by GT2

He’s asking if there are any confirmed cases of this happening because he hasn’t heard of any - and neither have I. It has nothing to do with the direction you chose to take his comments.

Should I have the victims that have been drugged and abused after a beer event contact GT2 and b3shine at Ratebeer.com to confirm their identity and details of the crime. Should I have them send you a private message, or just post a reply? Do you require photos of the abuse? Maybe a sworn affidavit or trial transcript? That way, what you don’t know becomes real.

Rintrah
12:08 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
This sounds like a night out at a.n.other shit bar/pick up joint, that’s why folks are asking about cases at beer festivals !!! wow !

Not at a bar, at the SPUR Gallery event in San Francisco.