Kentish Fortnight in March

Reads 451 • Replies 10 • Started Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:00:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:00 Thu 2/12/2015

Mrs & me will be back in Kent in March, 7th - 21st. In Broadstairs. 5 minutes’ stagger from the 39 Steps. (Around the corner from a Shepherd Neame house!)

I see that the London Drinker fest is on during that time. It’s entirely possible that I’d make a solo visit of that on the Wed & Thu. I don’t see it listed as an event here. Never been to that part of the city.

We may well spend a week elsewhere after Broadstairs, before heading back home.

Leighton
beers 33714 º places 1204 º 08:25 Thu 2/12/2015

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:08 Thu 2/12/2015

The London Drinker festival on paper should be a great festival. I’ve been a few times in my earlier RB days, and it led to one of the best tastings I’ve ever been to, which occurred in a cemetery. However, the afternoon kick out was a pain in the arse, there weren’t enough seats, so standing was more or less obligatory, the queues wore you down and it became too much of a trudge.
Now however, you could do the lunchtime session and then go out in London and do some great pubs in and around the location. Not too far from St Pancras for you to get home.
So yes, worth doing for a lunchtime session, but the rest of London will blow you away.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:30 Fri 2/13/2015

That’s what I was thinking, Ian. My CAMRA fest mode (such as it is after only being to a handful of fests) is to get out after a few hours anyway. I was thinking of staying 2 nights, repeating the process on Thursday. Then Friday morning back to Broadstairs.

Looking at photos, yeah, seating looks sparse. And door ticket sales must mean a long queue, or maybe not for card-carrying members. Or maybe not on a weekday noon.

I was thinking of maybe the Leicester fest instead, but that looks over 3 hours by train vs 1-1/2. Loved, LOVED the Leeds fest a few years ago.

I’ll see about a room nearby. Don’t suppose there’s bag storage lockers at St. Pancras...?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:50 Fri 2/13/2015

Assuming I only do the lunch fests Wed & Thu and then pub-crawling in the evenings, what part of the city should I look to stay in? I’d rather have a proper room at a pub, inn or hotel, but then I’m not rich, either. Lower standards when Mrs ain’t travelling along, too.

If I’m looking for cask beer rather than keg (I grew up beer-wise in Oregon), should I look for one particular part of the city? If I find a room near a tube station, I guess it’s moot.

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 10:12 Fri 2/13/2015

Seating’s sparse in the hall, but the gallery is usually open with cinema-style seating. (I guess in the old days it was for the public to observe council meetings.)

For the last couple of years the Thursday afternoon break has been used for a trade & press session, so that’s when I’m hoping to be there. Might stay on for a bit afterwards - it could also give me a chance to nab a couple of chairs in the hall... (-:

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 10:47 Fri 2/13/2015

Yes there is left luggage at St Pancras

Not aware of pubs that do rooms but people with more local knowledge may help.

Of course the cheapest place in London would be Chriso. Worth BM ing him to see if they are around and willing to put you up.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 13:09 Fri 2/13/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
should I look for one particular part of the city? If I find a room near a tube station, I guess it’s moot.

As long as it’s near a station, I wouldn’t worry too much. You can stay out in Stratford and be into St Pancras in 8 minutes so don’t worry.

Travelodges are always pretty cheap, Premier Inn is your other choice. But as i say I was looking at rooms on airbnb and couldn’t believe how cheap they were for central London. Mind you not sure they want a drunk Midwest/West Coast/Franconian turning up drunk on their doorstep asking where the best real ale pub was.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 13:10 Fri 2/13/2015

rent your ass out for a few hours in the Kings Cross area - your pimp will sort you a room !

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 14:46 Fri 2/13/2015

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
rent your ass out for a few hours in the Kings Cross area - your pimp will sort you a room !

Now then Nick, although I’m sure you would get a few quid with your lithe cyclists body, Colin isn’t always entirely serious in his posts. I mean this really is a last option.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:25 Mon 2/16/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

Now then Nick, although I’m sure you would get a few quid with your lithe cyclists body, Colin isn’t always entirely serious in his posts. I mean this really is a last option.

Something to keep in mind, as I am trying to get fit with regular sessions in the gym these days.

London looks a bewildering mess of choices. The goal will be to minimise time in the tube whilst maximising cask quality and choice.