Kernel - end of onsite drinking

Reads 5685 • Replies 63 • Started Friday, July 17, 2015 6:42:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 11:09 Mon 7/20/2015

Originally posted by digita7693
I really would not call the crowds descending upon there hipsters. Unless you call stag party, soccer hooligans, elitist fuck tards hipsters... then yes they are hipsters. Maybe from living in Portland I have a different understanding of what a hipster is.

Perhaps you mean Hypsters?;)

cheers

I have seen it from day 0 to now and I can safely say the crowds are very much different to how it was. It’s hipsters and others included but majority hipsters.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 11:15 Mon 7/20/2015

Sadly I have never managed to visit the Saturday Bermondsey thing: wish I’d made the effort when I had the chance, before it became ’mainstream’ and popular.

<*))))))><

HogTownHarry
beers 9241 º places 28 º 12:43 Mon 7/20/2015

I am just pissed off I will be missing one last Kernel visit ... by one week! I hit London on September 11 and will be frequenting all the usual places until the 28th. I still plan to do the Bermondsey walk, but it won’t be the same. Hope to see some of you around that time - cheers from stinkin’ hot Toronto!

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 12:57 Mon 7/20/2015

Originally posted by tdtm82
Originally posted by harrisoni
Am I the only one who prefers Kernel pale ales in bottles than on keg? So as long as I can still buy the bottles, I’m quite happy. Also I do like to have them at home, in the peace and quiet and contemplate their beauty. I will miss getting there early on a Saturday and enjoying a beer, but there are so many other places in London to enjoy a beer. It’s not like Kernel have stopped brewing.
As for Bermondsey being a good or bad thing for beer, I guess I’d come down on the good side in the fact that it has exposed so many more people to the concept that beer can be more than the mass hyped mass produced products in so many bars and pubs. How that is damaging I’m not sure. But then that’s what t’internet is for isn’t it? Giving anyone a voice whether it’s right, wrong, valid, invalid, well argued and researched or just a knee jerk reaction based on individual bias.
Isn’t democracy great?

On site the bottles were better than keg but offsite keg has been better than bottles. I have no idea why!

Bottles likely to fare worse than kegs in supply chain; so that part easily explained. As for kegs not as good at brewery perhaps some go on too young to provide variety?

duff
beers 5025 º places 40 º 14:37 Mon 7/20/2015

I blame the hipsters for the Greek economic crisis.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:37 Mon 7/20/2015

Originally posted by HogTownHarry
I am just pissed off I will be missing one last Kernel visit ... by one week! I hit London on September 11 and will be frequenting all the usual places until the 28th. I still plan to do the Bermondsey walk, but it won’t be the same. Hope to see some of you around that time - cheers from stinkin’ hot Toronto!

We can still get bottles Harry, we’ll just have to drink them somewhere else.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:43 Mon 7/20/2015

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Originally posted by tdtm82
Am I the only one who prefers Kernel pale ales in bottles than on keg? So as long as I can still buy the bottles, I’m quite happy. Also I do like to have them at home, in the peace and quiet and contemplate their beauty. I will miss getting there early on a Saturday and enjoying a beer, but there are so many other places in London to enjoy a beer. It’s not like Kernel have stopped brewing.
As for Bermondsey being a good or bad thing for beer, I guess I’d come down on the good side in the fact that it has exposed so many more people to the concept that beer can be more than the mass hyped mass produced products in so many bars and pubs. How that is damaging I’m not sure. But then that’s what t’internet is for isn’t it? Giving anyone a voice whether it’s right, wrong, valid, invalid, well argued and researched or just a knee jerk reaction based on individual bias.
Isn’t democracy great?

On site the bottles were better than keg but offsite keg has been better than bottles. I have no idea why!

Bottles likely to fare worse than kegs in supply chain; so that part easily explained. As for kegs not as good at brewery perhaps some go on too young to provide variety?

Arh now, you have made the mistake there of taking the assumption that every opinion is valid. My opinion is simply my opinion. On site or off site, I’ve always enjoyed the bottle version more than the keg version and I can get both reasonably fresh, so no supply chain problems. Other people may have had other experiences. Just because someone on RB says one thing is better than another, doesn’t mean it’s a fact. It’s an opinion. And as we know, other opinions are quite frequently available. Often those people state these opinions as facts, but then, we can all make our own minds up.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 15:49 Mon 7/20/2015

Originally posted by duff
I blame the hipsters for the Greek economic crisis.

Glad you are still around Duff. I’ll batter my sav into the apparatus and perform a crazy date and indeed a party date in honour to you.

jjsint
beers 7717 º places 1335 º 05:11 Tue 7/21/2015

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Sadly I have never managed to visit the Saturday Bermondsey thing: wish I’d made the effort when I had the chance, before it became ’mainstream’ and popular.

<*))))))><

I’ve not done the Bermondsey mile either. I’m wondering if I should go before Kernel’s swansong, but from the sound of things it’s not the same anymore anyway.

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 05:14 Tue 7/21/2015

Originally posted by jjsint
Originally posted by BlackHaddock

<*))))))><

I’ve not done the Bermondsey mile either. I’m wondering if I should go before Kernel’s swansong, but from the sound of things it’s not the same anymore anyway.

Get there early - say, before 11am - and it is very much the same as it has always been.