Kernel brews the best IPAs in the UK?

Reads 4126 • Replies 57 • Started Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:44:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25331 º places 68 º 15:39 Wed 7/3/2013

Originally posted by RichTheVillan
Double Citra blew my socks off amazing IPA, I like Thornbridge hoppy beers Halcyon is really good and as Craig said earlier Green Devil amazing. A special mention goes to Axe Edge.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Good choices of UK IPAs.

Leighton
beers 33640 º places 1203 º 15:48 Wed 7/3/2013

I will respond, at length, in the morning to what has been written here today.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 16:34 Wed 7/3/2013

When I look at my list of ipas rated in order of highest score to lowest, I have 28 british ipas scoring higher before I get to my first kernel. I have 43 british ipas in my top 100, The Kernel features only 3 times out of those 43. I’d say Kernel ipas are generally decent but only occasionally great.

*begin the stoning*

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 16:58 Wed 7/3/2013

Wild Boar, Axe Edge, hadouken, urban ipa, cool beans, soundwave, cannonball, AKA, brave new world, yakima valley ipa, halcyon, jackhammer, southville hop, green devil, jaipur...the list goes on, all better than any ipa the kernel has ever produced (imo, of course)

cgarvieuk
beers 37557 º places 457 º 22:07 Wed 7/3/2013

Originally posted by MagicDave6
Originally posted by MagicDave6
Im in danger of being reasonable here, but I actually agree with Craig.

However thats maybe cause I always have at least one kernel Pale/IPA on in my liveringroom and Green Devil is a rare treat!

Well liveringroom is a new name for it, but it does what it says on the tin!

kaufmanised
beers 120 º places 11 º 22:39 Wed 7/3/2013

Originally posted by madmitch76
Green Devil is an outstanding beer (4.4 for me). I think the thing with Kernel is that they (with that charming nonchalance of theirs) turn something out on a par with Green Devil (or very close to) on a near weekly basis. The SANS is gorgeous.

I agree with Ken, green devil is the landmark ipa for the midlands! But kernel do turnout something equally as good every week in my humble opinion. And that counts for something because look at Brewdog they seem to release new beers every week but how many make you think bloody hell that’s quaffable... For me none in a longtime, but kernel on the other hand, I have tried 4 or 5 new ones to me in the last two days and guess what each one didn’t last every long! Fresh citrusy piney goodness!

SANS is beautiful and for £3 a half

So do kernel make the best IPA’s in the UK? Yes they produce consistently excellent brews at the right price and get them out there to drink fresh!

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40240 º places 1239 º 00:29 Thu 7/4/2013

Originally posted by BenH
When I look at my list of ipas rated in order of highest score to lowest, I have 28 british ipas scoring higher before I get to my first kernel. I have 43 british ipas in my top 100, The Kernel features only 3 times out of those 43. I’d say Kernel ipas are generally decent but only occasionally great.

*begin the stoning*

We’ve explained before - it simply doesn’t travel 400 miles north !

cgarvieuk
beers 37557 º places 457 º 00:40 Thu 7/4/2013

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by BenH

*begin the stoning*

We’ve explained before - it simply doesn’t travel 400 miles north !

im not convinced that were not getting some of it pretty fresh on tap.
I might just ask and see how long they recon

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 01:00 Thu 7/4/2013

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
I get the impression that overseas raters don’t score it as highly as the UK crew.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Could that be partly due to a) local bias (on both sides) and b) Americas seem to like their ipa polluted, sorry, ’balanced’ with crystal malt, rye etc...

Beermack
beers 725 º places 36 º 03:06 Thu 7/4/2013

Kernel knock it out of the park with their IPAs consistently. Double Citra was pure joy - I nearly wept. Shout out to Moor Hoppiness too - that’s one hell of an IPA.