Koelschip introduces worlds heaviest beer

Reads 7855 • Replies 7 • Started Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:38:25 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bierkoning
beers 20217 º places 431 º 23:38 Wed 7/28/2010

From the website of het Koelschip, stumbled on it @ bierblog.nl

’t Koelschip presenteert ZWAARSTE BIER TER WERELD nu de Schotten een bier van 55 % op de markt brengen was de vraag: wat doen we nu? Hij is er START THE FUTURE 60% alc. als antwoord op de schotse reactie ; Obilix 45% was een succes, maar dit is nog beter!

START THE FUTURE is net als OBILIX een bier product; een zwaar alcoholische drank met de ingredienten WATER, MOUT, HOP en gist. Het bier is daarna bewerkt tot een bier produkt een drank op basis van bier. START THE FUTURE is net als OBILIX is een 100% bierproduct gemaakt van bier. Hoe? Vvraag het aan de brouwer. Je drinkt onze START THE FUTURE en Obilix ook uit een klein glas en niet uit een bierglas. Wil je START THE FUTURE EN OBILIX proeven boek dan een bierproeverij. Dat kan tijdens een proeverij bij t koelschip , of op festivals waar we staan of kopen (zie prijslijst) bij de brouwerij. Vragen bel 036-5375503 - 06-50636106

translation:

’t Koelschip introduces the worlds heaviest beer. Now the Scots present a 55% ABV beer we asked ourselves what to do. It is there:
START THE FUTURE 60%, as an answer to the Scots. OBILIX 45% was a success, but this is even better.

START THE FUTURE is just like OBILIX a beer product: a heavy alcoholic drink with the ingredients water, malt, hops and yeast. The beer is made into a beer product: a drink based on beer. How? Ask the brewer. You drink our OBILIX and START THE FUTURE out of a small glass and not out of a beer glass (...). Questions: call 036-5375503 or 06-50636106

As I see it START THE FUTURE is, just like OBILIX a mix from a 13% Koelschipbier and a home distilled Bierbrand (the brewer calls it ’whisky’). Must be some mix. Just correct me if I’m wrong, but this drink based on malt shouldn’t be listed.

kappldav123
beers 8891 º places 10 º 00:09 Thu 7/29/2010

That is absolutely incredible bullshit, what they are doing. They call it an answer to BrewDogs end of history which suggests this is also beer. Every brewer can give such an answer if he takes a 5% Pilsner and gives ten times that much Wodka in it. He CANNOT call such a thing beer and should stop producing such a bullshit!

larsga
beers 7693 º places 245 º 00:46 Thu 7/29/2010

Originally posted by kappldav123
He CANNOT call such a thing beer

Actually, if you look at what Koelschip wrote, you’ll see that they carefully avoid calling it beer. They always refer to it as a "beer product", which IMHO is fair enough.

Of course, by implication they are saying that End of History isn’t really beer, either, and that’s fine by me. Freeze distilling a beer so it goes from 6% to 10% is fine, but to 55%? That’s not really beer any more.

BTW, I wonder when the FDA and similar bodies are going to start being concerned by this. When you freeze distil alcoholic drinks you concentrate not just the ethanol, but also fusel alcohols (the stuff that makes bad moonshine taste like moonshine), and these can be harmful.

I’m not saying there necessarily are problematic levels of fusel alcohols in End of History and the other 30-60% "beers". It depends how much there was in the initial beer, and of course I don’t know that. There certainly was no fusel taste in Tactical Nuclear Penguin. In Sink the Bismarck there was so much hops that any fusel would probably have drowned anyway.

schorsch
00:49 Thu 7/29/2010

Originally posted by kappldav123
That is absolutely incredible bullshit, what they are doing. They call it an answer to BrewDogs end of history which suggests this is also beer. Every brewer can give such an answer if he takes a 5% Pilsner and gives ten times that much Wodka in it. He CANNOT call such a thing beer and should stop producing such a bullshit!

what mr nijboer does is not only trying to fool all others who do a fair contest(at the moment i got 43% Vol and i will try more,but not for the price of leaving the way of Reinheitsgebot/german purity law.
its a regional special german law and i do not expect that beer must be produced in that way worldwide...but what koelschip does is the pure customer deception.
this is also illegal by national dutch law.

Schorsch from Schorschbräu

NoiZe
beers 2322 º places 77 º 02:53 Thu 7/29/2010

I agree. It is total bullshit.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 03:41 Thu 7/29/2010

We’ve already dealt with this - as far as we’re concerned Obilix isn’t beer and isn’t in the database. The other beers (End of History/Sink the Bismark/Schorchbrau) are because they use traditional methods. As far as we’re concerned, this debate is over.

jbrus
beers 4986 º places 168 º 08:10 Fri 8/13/2010

When this brewer (and others) would compete for this list: Top Ultralights than I would respect him! Not this silly ’contest’.

MPA
beers 1429 º places 6 º 11:36 Fri 8/13/2010

Originally posted by jbrus
When this brewer (and others) would compete for this list: Top Ultralights than I would respect him! Not this silly ’contest’.

I want those!!!

Please concentrate on making tastier beers that are LIGHTER!