Krakow!

Reads 631 • Replies 7 • Started Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:42:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Beermack
beers 725 º places 36 º 23:42 Tue 5/20/2014

Hey gang, heading to Poland with a group of mates this weekend - staying centrally in Krakow.

I've checked out the ratings on the 'places' section, but a few seem to be skewed with zero-rating-users giving places top marks and saying BEST FRIGGIN BAR EVA etc.

Any inside knowledge of unmissable beer stuff to do in the city? The trip isn't a beer geek outing, but want a few places we can hit that don't just serve swill.

Cheers to you all!

Reminyze
beers 8421 º places 237 º 02:57 Wed 5/21/2014

Have been to Krakow a couple of years back and added some places. The Irish Bar was nice for the feeling but I guess you ain’t looking for something like that. There are great bars around the big market place and they do nice cocktails but beerwise was not much of a choice back then.

Have you checked out this resource?

http://www.ratebeer.com/places/countries/163/

I know you said you had checked out the "places" page, but I’d message some of the "top reviewers" and ask for their suggestions.

I’d also go to individual places you are considering, and click the "top reviewers" tab on each.

Radek Kliber
beers 8151 º places 419 º 05:55 Wed 5/21/2014

Just try them all and tell us what you think. The more ratings we have the better picture resolution. I would visit Zakopane (i think there is even brewpub there nowadays) when in Krakow, even day trip is worth it.

Bryne
places 1616 º 10:23 Wed 5/21/2014

I’ve been to Krakow six times during the last 14 years. The first years I enjoyed dirt cheap Tyskie, Lech and Okocim around Rynek Glówny. (I still do when the sun is shining..) The last couple of years craft beer pubs have popped up in Stare Miasto (Old City)and in Kazimierz - the Jewish District. BeerGallery, Strefa Piwa, House of Beer and Omerta are good pubs to enjoy Polish craft beer and international quality beer. Look for beers from AleBrowar and Pinta. If you like dark, strong and sweet beer, try some Polish Baltic Porters. My favourite pubs? Omerta and Strefa Piwa, both in Kazimierz. Earlier I liked C.K.Browar, but not anymore. Today you can find better beers elsewhere! Many other pubs also serve standard Czech beers. The BeerGallery pubs seems to have "a harem of Rate-groupies" who really adore the pub! Don’t bother about those, BeerGallery pubs don’t deserve a total score above 90, but read the other reviews and you will see that they are worth a visit.
Na Zdrowie!

Beermack
beers 725 º places 36 º 13:41 Wed 5/21/2014

Bryne, thanks for this info! And cheers to all other posters, will do some rating over there for sure and report back on the good spots

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 15:20 Wed 5/21/2014

Was there last month; in the centre, House of Beer is shit at weekends (full of English drunken tossers) but has a great beer range and don’t miss the bar downstairs (go past the bar, into the room to the left and downstairs - different beers). I didn’t like any of the Beer Gallery bars. In Kazimierz, the new brewpub TEA looked ok (wasn’t quite ready to open when I was there), Stref Piwa and Omerta are close together and both good with large ranges of local beers (plus Omerta has a seperate bar with imports now).