RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Legal status of growlers in UK

read 1034 times • 23 replies • posted 6/19/2013 10:50:14 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

evilempire 132:26
always used to make me laugh how the Beard And Gut Society actively promoted those awful cardboard carry-outs, which were not airtight and hardly conducive to maintaining the beer quality, yet ridiculed (and in the case of festivals often barred/stopped) scoopers and tickers bottling up in sterile, airtight pop bottles...
6/20/2013 12:46:43 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
If you have an off sales leicence, you can sell booze to take away. Simple.
6/20/2013 1:35:06 AM

premium
EdKing 1876:141
How easy is it to get an off sales licence as a pub/bar?
6/20/2013 6:20:31 AM

premium
chriso 7365:371
Originally posted by EdKing

No personal experience but I think it depends on the licensing authority (i.e. the local council).
6/20/2013 8:05:14 AM

premium
SilkTork 5218:78
A number of beer shops do it, though itís not common. The Bitter End in Bromley does it. And Beer Essentials in Horsham. You take along your own container, and they fill it. Or you can use the container sold by the shop.
6/20/2013 9:40:19 AM

premium
Originally posted by evilempire
always used to make me laugh how the Beard And Gut Society actively promoted those awful cardboard carry-outs, which were not airtight and hardly conducive to maintaining the beer quality, yet ridiculed (and in the case of festivals often barred/stopped) scoopers and tickers bottling up in sterile, airtight pop bottles...

I think that may have been because some festivals didnít have an off-sales license, rather than they were opposed to the pop bottle container. But I may be wrong.

I never had problems bottling up at festivals. And I first got the idea of doing it from seeing it done at Oxford festival.
6/20/2013 9:43:10 AM

evilempire 132:26
bit of both... some didnít have off sales license, some did. But some it was clearly an anti-scooper attitude, e.g. Brizzle fest threatened several bottlers (sitting quietly at a table out of the way) with eviction, and made them pour their bottles back into their glass and drink them - while simultaneously a group of ínormalsí were taking up 6 feet of bar ordering and tasting numerous different beers, then pouring them into the same 2 litre bottle!
6/21/2013 1:58:23 AM

premium
Originally posted by evilempire
bit of both... some didnít have off sales license, some did. But some it was clearly an anti-scooper attitude....

Iíve heard about some festivals having an anti-scooper attitude, though I have not encountered this myself. Indeed, most festivals Iíve been to have the infamous scooper beer - the brewery dregs chucked into a cask and marked "Festival Special". (I think weíve now all learned to avoid those pointless exercises in ticking for tickingís sake).

Appealing to the scooper (casual or - like us - a bit obsessed) seems to be taken on board by breweries, pubs and festival organisers as good business.
6/22/2013 6:10:32 AM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Originally posted by EdKing

Most pubs already have one. Its fairly easy to get and theres the added benifit that you can do off sales as long as your in the process of getting your licence for it.

It would only be nightclubs and central busy pubs that wouldnt get it.
6/22/2013 9:18:28 AM

premium
Beersiveknown 3001:71
No issue with scoopers bottling as long as they arenít taking the piss with volunteers time when others are waiting to be served.
6/22/2013 10:08:22 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers