List of new and coming soon brewers part V

Reads 16414 • Replies 211 • Started Friday, January 8, 2016 1:13:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 10:21 Mon 3/14/2016

They use an enzyme called Clarity Ferm that breaks down gluten and other proteins, leading to clearer finished beer without having to filter, as well as beer that is nearly gluten free. The government still won’t let you label it gluten free, even though the beers usually fall below the legal threshold for gluten content in a gluten free product. I think that’s a good thing. I don’t trust a small brewery like Alpine to do that process correctly and I know that they aren’t testing it on every batch.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:05 Mon 3/14/2016

Considering Alpine’s track record, I would not trust them if you were actually gluten intolerant. Maybe the Green Flash brewed beers would be more consistent, but anything coming out of the brewery/pub in Alpine...no.

bytemesis
beers 15314 º places 1595 º 02:04 Wed 3/16/2016

Joe - what is the status of Uncle Sam’s? Closed? For good?
They still post about brewing on their FB page, but they haven’t had a legit untappd checkin in a year plus at this point.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 08:16 Wed 3/16/2016

Originally posted by bytemesis
Joe - what is the status of Uncle Sam’s? Closed? For good?
They still post about brewing on their FB page, but they haven’t had a legit untappd checkin in a year plus at this point.

The old place by Altamont is definitely closed. They were talking a while back about opening a beer and brat bar in downtown Livermore, and I recently got confirmation from my contact with the City that there is a brewery opening up at a specific location (the old rock climbing gym by the movie theater). He couldn’t confirm it was Uncle Sam’s, but I haven’t heard of anyone else except Shadow Puppet, and they’re on the other end of First St. by the freeway.

I’ll try digging a little deeper and see what I can find out.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:51 Wed 3/16/2016

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 14:06 Wed 3/16/2016

Are oysters considered vegan? Can’t remember if vegans subscribe to the "seafood is not meat" philosophy.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 14:16 Wed 3/16/2016

Oysters are not vegan. But no mollusks were harmed in the making of the dishes. I’m guessing you’re referring to the risotto which is made with these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurotus_ostreatus

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 14:20 Wed 3/16/2016

I was looking at the "opening menu" in the article, but you answered the question the same. Curious how they mimic the disgusting texture...

Opening menu from Hella Vegan Eats at Classic Cars West

Cornflake crusted fried chicken & waffles (gf*)
Oyster Mushroom Poutine (gf*)
Fried cauliflower tacos (*gf)
Fried rice potsticker burrito
Mac & cheese
Monte Cristo BLT
blood orange BBQ burger

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 15:34 Wed 3/16/2016

For some reason I was thinking risotto, but yeah, poutine is what I meant.

I saw that they have done a "chicken" as well. I personally don’t care for the fake meat products even though I keep trying all the ones people tell me are good. Just fucking eat vegetables, bro.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 15:54 Wed 3/16/2016

Big news for northern California beer. A gluten free brewery, a vegan beer garden (because The Depot did so well...), and homebreweries on the Google campuses. What a time to be alive.