RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

little shells

read 1088 times • 14 replies • posted 9/25/2012 12:58:00 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
BenH 2012:6
I brewed an ipa today and when I was cleaning down my equipment at the end of the brew day, at the bottom of my boiler I saw two little black bits of what appeared to be metal. I figured it was maybe off the heating element, sometimes it sheds little bits of metal at the end of a shift. But on closer inspection it was two tiny little pointed shells. Itís hard to describe what they were like but they were tiny and pointed, kind of like a tiny snail shell but pointed like maybe it belonged to a water snail or a tiny little hermit crab. I canít figure out where they came from, I can only imagine they were in the hops. I used simcoe and nelson sauvin. Does anyone know of any wee beasties that live in hops? Could they have come from somewhere else?

It got me thinking though. Are there insects that live in the hop plants? Are we chucking in dried up spiders and shit when dry hop?

Hopefully no one will get a slug in their beer when I bottle this
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
bitbucket 2158:63
Photos or it didnít happen.
9/25/2012 8:51:30 PM

Private message send the author a private message

robrules 1
Hop seeds?
9/26/2012 8:08:37 AM

premium
drowland 5953:172
Did you brew outside? Could have fallen in?
9/26/2012 9:10:48 AM

premium
Sorry, no pics and definitely not hop seeds. Defo the shells of some kind of creature. No idea how they got in there, perhaps just a freak one off. Just thought Iíd check to see if anyone has ever heard of seeing anything like this.
9/26/2012 9:10:59 AM

premium
9/26/2012 9:12:44 AM

JMerritt 1744:72
Is it possible they were in your kettle before you started and you didnít get them scrubbed out?
9/26/2012 10:01:57 AM

premium
Unclerudy 12:3
Some kind of insect that was in your grain that made it into the boil?
9/26/2012 10:14:22 AM

zanaspus 10:4
Iím not a homebrewer, and I donít play one on TV, but I am an accomplished aquarist. What you describe are freshwater snails that make rabbits look like single offspring monagomists. Many aquarists who keep planted aquaria enjoy them as they love to burrow. The most likely scenario would be your water source. The eggs are microscopic and they would grow to this small size inside of a week or two. Iíd question your water source, not that these guys are inherently harmful.
9/26/2012 11:43:21 AM

zanaspus 10:4
It also just occured to me that malted barley could be a source. The germination moisture would be enough to live, and the eggs are quite resilient.
9/26/2012 11:46:10 AM

robrules 1
9/27/2012 12:40:49 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add