RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Looking for advice on aging beer

read 1043 times • 21 replies • posted 10/8/2012 7:46:17 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

RochefortChris 8:1
Iíve recently started the aging stage of my beer journey and would like some advice. Currently, Iím only aging a Trois Pistoles, Olde Suffolk and Old Foghorn. (Nothing spectacular as of yet) What is an ideal temperature? I have them in a closet now but should I have them in my beer refrigerator? How long should I age each one. Iíve had the Olde Suffolk since around late March and havenít had the other two for long.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
illidurit 2146:20
donít
10/8/2012 7:55:34 PM

Private message send the author a private message

drewbeerme 3879:1
55F. Refrigeration will slow the process of aging. Iím not sure aging those beers will do a lot, they seem pretty ready right out of the brewery.

As far as advice you never asked for...donít go crazy aging beer cuz 99% of beer is best fresh. You should age beers with a purpose. Consider why you want to age it in the first place. Booze may mellow a bit with age but so will hops, fruit, and barrel notes so consider the trade off when aging. Also, if a beer is right on when you drink it then generally donít age it, it ainít getting better.
10/8/2012 7:59:51 PM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Also, oxidation can be a nice feature in some beers but this is rare. Mostly aging beers tends to make them more similar due to general oxidation notes becoming the main age profile.
10/8/2012 8:03:02 PM

DalzAle 1984:13
Originally posted by illidurit
donít

This. Iíve regretted most instances when Iíve aged bottles.
10/8/2012 8:14:31 PM

premium
SHIG 3586:204
donít

+1
10/8/2012 8:21:18 PM

premium
CLevar 376:10
Originally posted by DalzAle
donít

This. Iíve regretted most instances when Iíve aged bottles.

Only age bottles when your buddies arenít around, then drink them as soon as you can all get together!
10/8/2012 8:26:35 PM

peteinSD 1373:57
donít

yeah but no. theyíre your beers. you want to age íem then do it. dark, cool place for a year and then try íem. youíll know if you like the beer with a year on it or not. then you can decide if you want to try and lay íem down for longer. have fun. cheers.
10/8/2012 8:28:20 PM

premium
douglas88 6009:218
A vast majority of beers will get worse with any significant age. There are obvious exceptions where some styles donít degrade or may even improve based on personal preference. Lambic is the once case where the beer holds up well. Many big beers though get much worse. Barley Wines I have found worse with too much age. Big sweet Thomas Hardy style BWs may cellar for awhile, but not forever.
10/8/2012 9:38:49 PM

premium
sloth 2483:47
Originally posted by SHIG
donít

+1

+2
10/9/2012 1:46:26 AM

premium
HighWine 952:28
I used to keep my cellar at 54 degrees but felt like the bottles were just a little too warm for my taste when I would open them. Rather than throw the 54 degree bottle in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before drinking, I just lowered the temp on my cellar to 50 degrees and have been happy with the result.

I mostly age really boozy beers to see if theyíll mellow out a bit. It really is a matter of preference. For example, lots of people like Parabola fresh, but I think it is phenomenal with 1 year of age at cellar temp. Other examples are í09 Old Guardian was unanimously better than í11 Old Guardian in a recent vertical tasting but a few years ago I liked an í07 Doggie Claws better than the í03.

Ill rotate bottles out of the cellar and into the fridge when I think they have aged the right amount to preserve the qualities I want at that time. Iíve got my 2012 Dark Lords in the cellar but 2010 is in the fridge because I hear its drinking well now and would like to let the fresher bottles develop some more.

I freak out every 3-5 years and pour off everything in my cellar because I worry about over aging. Itís like a forest fire clearing out old growth to make room for new life! Have fun experimenting. Youíll end up over aging some stuff but will create some really nice, complex, and flavorful beers to enjoy along the way.
10/9/2012 2:16:42 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers