Looking for input on making a good saison

Reads 12681 • Replies 31 • Started Friday, May 28, 2010 7:59:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 08:05 Tue 6/1/2010

Originally posted by mtoast
Originally posted by erway
On a side note...When are one of you guys gonna make one of these with a bordeaux wine yeast and report back? Common, there’s got to be someone that wants to try this.

Is Lalvin RC 212 "bordeaux-ish" enough for you? If so, I’m on it.

I don’t know shit about wine yeast. Check with Wyeast which one would work.

peter
beers 445 º places 17 º 20:28 Wed 6/2/2010

On a side note...When are one of you guys gonna make one of these with a bordeaux wine yeast and report back? Common, there’s got to be someone that wants to try this.

I have had success with d47

GEOBRAU
beers 188 º 11:20 Thu 6/3/2010

Well I’ll cross my fingers!

Unfortunately, this is a style that I thinks necessitates doing AG or at least the vast majority. There is no extract that I know of that will be 90%+ fermentable, and that is, without a doubt, one of the defining characteristics of a saison.

FYI Briess seems to be the worst. Using the Pils DME, I made a 7P pale ale for my pregnant wife, figuring that it would finish at 3 because the Briess lacks much fermentable sugar...I was wrong. It finished at 4! Only 1.5% ABV which is fine. Hence the name...Preggers Pale Ale.

tagz
beers 337 º places 3 º 14:13 Thu 6/3/2010

I’ve always been curious about saison’s and fusel alcohol. I’ve always thought that fermenting at temperatures above 80 would risk the creation of fusels, and give the beer a harsh edge. Do the Saison yeasts keep these to a minimum when you’re fermenting at high temps?

notlob
15:53 Thu 6/3/2010

Originally posted by tagz
I’ve always been curious about saison’s and fusel alcohol. I’ve always thought that fermenting at temperatures above 80 would risk the creation of fusels, and give the beer a harsh edge. Do the Saison yeasts keep these to a minimum when you’re fermenting at high temps?

Nope. No problems with fusel alcohols at these temps. It’s truly amazing. For what it’s worth, and I don’t know too many details about these reactions, but fusel alcohols are produced with all fermentations and are later metabolized into the flavorful esters. Maybe the saison yeasts are much better at these metabolisms.

GEOBRAU
beers 188 º 21:18 Thu 6/3/2010

Reading at 72 hours- OG - 1.052 Current reading - 1.030

When fermentation started it was around 88-90 deg and has slowly settled in at 78 so I moved it to another part of the house where it should range between 80-85. Very fast almost violent fermentation that has slowed way way down, a krausen cap still on top though

Nice straw color and tasty (in a worty way)

GEOBRAU
beers 188 º 19:39 Wed 6/30/2010

Update, the beer is still in primary after 30 days... In spite of what Erway prophesied it DID ferment down to 1.011 which is withing style guidelines for a Saison.. However, at less than 6% ABV I wasn’t satisfied.. So after reading stuff about adding beano I decided NOT to do that but to add 1 pound of cane sugar and 1.5 tsp of Alpha Amylase and see what happens... I figure wost case I strenthen it a bit and maybe add some more funkies and best case the Amylase does its thing and brings it down into the single digits for the dryness I’m hoping for....

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 19:41 Wed 6/30/2010

See this thread:
http://babblebelt.com/newboard/thread.html?tid=1108752780&th=1275037001&pg=1&tpg=1&add=1

ryan
beers 3185 º places 13 º 19:52 Wed 6/30/2010

Originally posted by GEOBRAU
Update, the beer is still in primary after 30 days... In spite of what Erway prophesied it DID ferment down to 1.011 which is withing style guidelines for a Saison.. However, at less than 6% ABV I wasn’t satisfied.. So after reading stuff about adding beano I decided NOT to do that but to add 1 pound of cane sugar and 1.5 tsp of Alpha Amylase and see what happens... I figure wost case I strenthen it a bit and maybe add some more funkies and best case the Amylase does its thing and brings it down into the single digits for the dryness I’m hoping for....

Add the Wyeast French Saison yeast. It’s a far superior attenuator to the Dupont strain. If you mashed around 145 and used all base malts, it will get down to 1.002-4 no problem.

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 07:54 Sat 7/3/2010

Originally posted by ryan
Originally posted by GEOBRAU

Add the Wyeast French Saison yeast. It’s a far superior attenuator to the Dupont strain. If you mashed around 145 and used all base malts, it will get down to 1.002-4 no problem.

+1 on the French Saison yeast being a good attenuator. I just did an all base malt (Belgian Pils) Saison with Strisspelt hops and Agave Nectar that I mashed at 149. OG was 1.071 and after 10 days was at 1.000! I fermented in the high 70’s and knew it would get down there, but after using the dupont strain, I didn’t expect it to ferment down so quick. Good yeast!

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer