Lost Rhino expanding to second location

Reads 561 • Replies 6 • Started Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:15:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

radagast83
beers 12370 º places 427 º 00:15 Sun 3/8/2015

Saw job application forms on their website for something called "Lost Rhino Retreat" and did some additional digging. Looks like they’re planning on opening a separate bar/restaurant a few miles south of their brewery. I think the brewery space has tripled since opening, so this would at least be their 4th expansion.

Lost Rhino Retreat

It makes sense to me. Regardless of their reputation on here, the place is always packed. I was there to pick up a few beers on Friday and the place was booming, even after 10pm. In a light industrial park.

Sorry Travlr, this location will be on the west-side of Dulles airport.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1235 º 05:18 Sun 3/8/2015

I never understood the hate they get on here. They’re not world class by any means, but there’s always a bunch of solid beers and decent food. What am I missing?

Travlr
beers 33760 º places 4543 º 08:25 Sun 3/8/2015

Originally posted by radagast83
Saw job application forms on their website for something called "Lost Rhino Retreat" and did some additional digging. Looks like they’re planning on opening a separate bar/restaurant a few miles south of their brewery. I think the brewery space has tripled since opening, so this would at least be their 4th expansion.

Lost Rhino Retreat

It makes sense to me. Regardless of their reputation on here, the place is always packed. I was there to pick up a few beers on Friday and the place was booming, even after 10pm. In a light industrial park.

Sorry Travlr, this location will be on the west-side of Dulles airport.
Gives me something to do while I’m waiting for a flight I guess. When we returned from iceland we stopped at Lost Dog. A new Lost Rhino will be a better option than that.

radagast83
beers 12370 º places 427 º 12:00 Sun 3/8/2015

Originally posted by Drake
I never understood the hate they get on here. They’re not world class by any means, but there’s always a bunch of solid beers and decent food. What am I missing?
Now that I think about it, I think a lot of it has to do with a very low sample size. The scores for many of their most rated beers aren’t actually that bad (not the weighted average, but the mean), so it may be that more rates just need to be occurring. I’ve had a number that are totally average, but that’s whats going to happen with most breweries that have a large portfolio of beer. I like them overall. On the surface they might not seem as exciting as something like Adroit, though I think you’d find more full pours at Lost Rhino that you’d be willing to drink.

On a side note, they’ve been putting out a decent sour/wild ales lately (for a brand new program, etc), hope to bring a few of them to share at a tasting.

Travlr
beers 33760 º places 4543 º 14:27 Sun 3/8/2015

Originally posted by radagast83
Originally posted by Drake
Now that I think about it, I think a lot of it has to do with a very low sample size. The scores for many of their most rated beers aren’t actually that bad (not the weighted average, but the mean), so it may be that more rates just need to be occurring. I’ve had a number that are totally average, but that’s whats going to happen with most breweries that have a large portfolio of beer. I like them overall. On the surface they might not seem as exciting as something like Adroit, though I think you’d find more full pours at Lost Rhino that you’d be willing to drink.

On a side note, they’ve been putting out a decent sour/wild ales lately (for a brand new program, etc), hope to bring a few of them to share at a tasting.
I visited a couple of times back when their tasting room was just a shell. Glad to hear they have food. I just wish DC/NoVA had decent roads and public transportation so I could get there more often. In the meantime, looking forward to trying their beers at tastings.

Travlr
beers 33760 º places 4543 º 09:30 Wed 4/22/2015

Update: I had a blast at Lost Rhino while waiting for nate2g’s flight to land. Seasonal beers were tasty, flagships were OK. Sour beers were hurtin for certain. Live music was terrific, good atmosphere, good service, tasty snacks.

solidfunk
beers 19961 º places 1037 º 10:55 Thu 4/23/2015

Their flagship stuff I had when I was there were mostly brewed well to style and easy to drink. There’s something to be said of that, instead of over-the-top beers always that end up being a mess like other places.