Louisville Assistance

Reads 1080 • Replies 14 • Started Monday, June 30, 2014 5:25:55 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 16:42 Mon 6/30/2014

Holy Grale is run by VERY nice people whom i’ve met at borefts. I would go there and look at their bottle list. They regularly tweet their menu lists and they both take a lot of care into importing really good beer.

It depends on what you like:

If you are into hard to find stuff, especially the beers of Belgium, I’d go to Sergios. You’re gonna pay a lot of money for the experience, but if you are a Belgophile, I’d go for that option.

If you are into good local beer and food, I’d go to Against the Grain. Had some great meals there, and they really mix up things style wise to give you a variety of beers to choose from.

If you are into good food and a more ecclectic (not necessarily local) beer list, go to Holy Grale, but heed the warnings of others- finding space for a party of 10-15 would be hard to do. If you call ahead, maybe you can arrange for your party to have the Choir Loft portion? Might be worth a shot.

In terms of reasons to come to Louisville, none of the other local brewers are consistent enough to make your trip worthwhile. Still, if you wish to do a brewery "trail," I’d go to (in this order) Against the Grain, Apocalypse and Great Flood (though the latter is terribly inconsistent, in my opinion). Cumberland and BBC are skippable, though the St. Matthews BBC could probably best accommodate your large party- but the beer is mostly lower average.

For others who have said go to New Albanian (Rich Os): I second that emotion. They actually have an area designated for larger groups (call ahead) have a nice tap selection and well priced, tasty food.

Just a Louisvillians 0.02¢.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 21:55 Mon 6/30/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
But if you’re looking for $10 bottles of 2007 Goose Island Imperial IPA, this is your spot.

But but but IPAs were originally brewed to be shipped to India so they do better with age!

A waiter actually tried to tell me this once when I raised an eyebrow about Hopslam being on the menu in June. My friends had to hold me back.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15026 º places 435 º 16:17 Tue 7/1/2014

Looks like every one has pretty much covered everything. If you go to Holy Grale, go early. Can’t imagine there is any way you will find seating for 10+ after 5 on a weekend. Same thing with Great Flood - not a great deal of seating and stays busy. Apocalypse would be better after the sun goes down since you will be sitting outside.