LYCHEES

Reads 1710 • Replies 19 • Started Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:11:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 18:46 Tue 7/30/2013

status update on these leeches? got your humours in balance?

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 18:49 Tue 7/30/2013

Originally posted by FL_homer
Originally posted by OmegaX
Originally posted by joet
They have a rosy taste that might work nicely with a sour Sarah Hughes type ale and the tropical notes would meld nicely with a Nelson type hop.

Yeah, a sour would be great. I was thinking berliner weisse, myself. But being from Florida, it’s easy to imagine any exotic or tropical fruit being thrown into a berliner. Floridaweisse!!

Peg’s/Cycle recently made a very small batch of Lychee Florida Weisse with fresh lychees, and it was really nice

Didn’t know they made that. Lychee is great, but almost impossible to brew with given the time consumption of peeling and seeding it before pulverizing it or juicing it, plus extremely little juice per berry, and the difficulty of procuring it fresh in the US. Lastly, the flavor is so mild, all of that work would be wasted.

I had chatted about this with J Wakefield for a hot minute and we agreed that lychee, though delicious, was pretty much prohibitive to brew with.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 21:49 Tue 7/30/2013

Originally posted by GT2
They have a rosy taste that might work nicely with a sour Sarah Hughes type ale and the tropical notes would meld nicely with a Nelson type hop.

Yeah, a sour would be great. I was thinking berliner weisse, myself. But being from Florida, it’s easy to imagine any exotic or tropical fruit being thrown into a berliner. Floridaweisse!!

Peg’s/Cycle recently made a very small batch of Lychee Florida Weisse with fresh lychees, and it was really nice

Didn’t know they made that. Lychee is great, but almost impossible to brew with given the time consumption of peeling and seeding it before pulverizing it or juicing it, plus extremely little juice per berry, and the difficulty of procuring it fresh in the US. Lastly, the flavor is so mild, all of that work would be wasted.

I had chatted about this with J Wakefield for a hot minute and we agreed that lychee, though delicious, was pretty much prohibitive to brew with.

Someone with a reputation will do it. Package it in a gold foil bottle -- yeah real gold -- and even if it does get okay ratings, beer newbs will hire mule callers to deluge the online buying service with multiple autodialers to get it at hundreds of dollars per bottle. Then try to trade it for entire collections, a million dollars or first born sons.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 05:53 Wed 7/31/2013

Originally posted by GT2

I love lychee but generally agree with this. I could potentially see lychee blending well with a mild pale ale or a blonde since that rosy perfume quality would mimic some hops with perfume and flowery notes, but I’m not sure it would be worth the amount of lychee you’d probably need.

beerncheese
11:12 Fri 11/15/2013

Lychees are a tasty fruit/nut.
I’ve done a potent punch using them.
Mix dark Rum with a bottle of Alizé Gold Passion
“Exotic passion fruit delicately blended with premium French Vodka.”
Add sparkling water or seltzer.
Add lychees, slivered pineapple chunks.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 12:18 Fri 11/15/2013

You know this thread is 4 months old right?

beerncheese
12:38 Fri 11/15/2013

Originally posted by GT2

Duh, NOOB, yeah, I do know.
I do love Lychees though.
Thanks

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 13:43 Fri 11/15/2013

Originally posted by beerncheese
Originally posted by GT2

Duh, NOOB, yeah, I do know.
I do love Lychees though.
Thanks

MagicDave6
beers 1 º places 1 º 14:02 Fri 11/15/2013

I love lychees. They’re quite unique and very enjoyable. I have a tree growing at home. I’ve never thought of what to pair them with for beer or how they would be used in a beer (style-wise).

Sour Sarah Hughes?