Malt Thread 2015

Reads 1748 • Replies 18 • Started Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:45:10 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Kinda strange to start a thread on malts in 2015. After all, aren’t malts that stuff in beer that annoyingly gets in the way of all that hoppy goodness? Maybe I’m overstating things, but this doesn’t seem far off the attitude here on the forums. Trying to read the ratings of any "malty" beer can be a pretty painful experience, too... unless you know who to read. So:

1. What’s the future for malts? Are there any interesting grains hybrids, techniques, etc. going on right now that are obscured because of the current hop craze?

2. Who are you reading, review-wise/blog/book, for good beer ratings that go a little more in depth regarding malt character?

3. What brewers right now deserve more recognition for their continued attention/excellence in creating malt-conscious beer?

barncatmatt
beers 2287 º places 71 º 13:19 Sun 2/15/2015

Old Flame Brewing in Ontario is making amazingly malt expressive lagers. They are a joy to drink.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 14:04 Sun 2/15/2015

In all things, balance.

Originally posted by matt7215
Old Flame Brewing in Ontario is making amazingly malt expressive lagers. They are a joy to drink.
The reviews on their IPA are a perfect example of what I’m talking about- all anyone seems to say is "could be hoppier"and so forth.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/old-flame-perry-loved-mary/270077/

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 17:26 Sun 2/15/2015

If you don’t love malt, you don’t love beer. I must say, my local brewery Iechyd Da is killing it with malt. I’m going to ask next time I’m there what the main malts they’re using are. Case in point: most IPAs when they warm up beyond a certain point taste terrible. Not Iechyd Da’s...their hop forward beers are great all the way up to damn near room temperature, and to me, that has to be a result of excellent malt and the brewing process.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 23:23 Sun 2/15/2015

I thought this was going to be a malt liquor thread.

2/10

Originally posted by brokensail

2/10
I thought this might turn into a lively discussion about one of the most important ingredients in beer... So I guess we’re both wrong so far.

X
beers 172 º places 1 º 17:24 Mon 2/16/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by brokensail

2/10
I thought this might turn into a lively discussion about one of the most important ingredients in beer... So I guess we’re both wrong so far.

It appears in today’s craft beer world that malts are just an inconvenient conveyance to transparently deliver hops, coffee, chocolate, wood, vanilla, bourbon etc, etc..

I don’t see things changing anytime soon either.

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 18:06 Mon 2/16/2015

hopefully less Rye

nuplastikk
beers 9832 º places 73 º 18:32 Mon 2/16/2015

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beername/52437/

one of the more interesting malt bills I’ve seen.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 19:49 Mon 2/16/2015

Unless brewers can put a bigger malt profile in their "session" IPAs, they, SIPAs, can go away, with a few exceptions.